1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Making a 3D Sidescroller

Me and a few friends are hoping to make a 3D side-scroller game on UDK. We did the first step, which was to make up a story+ the characters, and draw sketches of how the game's going to look like (Which by the way, we made an awesome story/idea for the game, it's pretty original too). But the thing is none of us have any experience on making a game. I have 0 knowledge in programming except for a bit in HTML, I played around in 3DS Max, Zbrush and I know I do know quite a lot in Photoshop. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me information on how I can successfully create a game.

I've already got the softwares I need: UDK, Zbrush+Blender and Photoshop.
    Can you please tell me, what are the main tools/things I need to know, to successfully create a 3D side-scroller on UDK. When I say 3D side-scroller, I mean something like Trine 2, it's what influenced the idea of making a game originally.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow! That's pretty ambitious. You'll need to learn proper programming, not mark-up, brush up on your maths and start learning C and C++, first in a trivial way and then in a non-trivial way. It's going to take you a while, probably a few years.

Start with a static screen 2D game and get that working, so you only really have to worry about the X and Y axis. Then worry about 3D.

Or, look at a reputable Computer Games Programming degree course, such as the one run at the University of Derby.

Again, good luck,

Shaun.
  5. No Profile Picture

Room 801, Building A, Ying Da Li Tech Digital Park, Fu Tian free trade zone, Shenzhen, china
    What a big idea you have,but sounds really exciting!
    Keep going,I am looking forward to your game!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo