Thread: I need advice

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I need advice

Hello! I'm working on a game interface course and would like some overall advice.
    Let's say your game interface is centered on a heroic doctor in a hospital full of chaos. Your mission is to kill monsters with guns, and throwing projectiles. This game is on the Xbox 360. Command function is triggered by pressing the LT button to aim, and RT button to fire. To throw projectiles you press the LB button. To pick up objects you walk up to an object and press the X button. When you grapple with a monster you either press the LT and RT simultaneously, or you press the A button. Depending on the situation.
    What are your thoughts and recommendations? I am open to new ideas!
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by RonRasStudent
    Hello! I'm working on a game interface course and would like some overall advice.
    Let's say your game interface is centered on a heroic doctor in a hospital full of chaos. Your mission is to kill monsters with guns, and throwing projectiles. This game is on the Xbox 360. Command function is triggered by pressing the LT button to aim, and RT button to fire. To throw projectiles you press the LB button. To pick up objects you walk up to an object and press the X button. When you grapple with a monster you either press the LT and RT simultaneously, or you press the A button. Depending on the situation. This is an action/adventure game
    What are your thoughts and recommendations? I am open to new ideas!
    I need to know if my functions will make easy game play.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by RonRasStudent
    I need to know if my functions will make easy game play.
    Given what you are talking about, this sounds about right for a standard Xbox game. The problem is you are asking the wrong questions for the right reasons.

Game play "Fun" can only be found out by doing the hard work of playing the game to see if it fits the layout. Now I am aware that you are unable to do this... So you might want to look towards games you like that use a setup like this one.

Are there any Xbox games that fit this design for you?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well if you are just now learning game development i wouldnt recommend console games to start with. While XBOX is not difficult with the new XDA IDE. but remember that you are firing multiple events whenever you press a button. You are firing the Click event(button pressed and release) Button_down event and Button_up event and changing the state of the button which is an integer signaling how far the button is pressed. Each of these buttons of course can then hold statements to check the current status of the other buttons. like rt.button.status=="button_down" not actual code just generic pseudo.

The key layout you mentioned is common in many games. Just look long and hard into the many different events the xbox controller fires to ensure that nothing unexpected happens.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo