Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[Android] Blocus - A lot of particles that have a real physic

Hi all !

I'm here to present you my latest game, an Arkanoid-like game, called Blocus

It's available on the store at : play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.julien.blocus

Here is what it looks like :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgfQyQRPrNg

What is worth noting in this game and that you can't get from the screenshots / vid :

- An endless game with a constantly increasing difficulty
    - The paddle is divided in three part (left, that send the ball to the left, middle and right). When a ball hits the paddle, it becomes warmer. If you can get it warm enough, the paddle will shoot very powerful projectiles.
    - You can upgrade your paddle (It improves the projectiles)
    - When you clear a column, the ball becomes more powerful and quicker
    - The particles will collided with the paddle or the walls

I hope you'll enjoy it

If you like you might like these :

Ping
    Rubicon
    MESS

Comments on this post

• hexman agrees : Good work man, it was a fun game :D
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well you've got a really great game there man, Good Work! . But I don't think its the right place to post here. In Game-Development section, IMO, People should discus about developing game, gathering resources, dealing with development problems and other stuff. Well, it may not be violating of the rules but I don't think its correct to show-off your stuff here. Don't get me wrong man, I'm not judging you but I'm just saying it'll be better to tell how you made it rather than telling that you've made it.

Thanks.

Comments on this post

• JulienBe agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hexman
    Well you've got a really great game there man, Good Work! . But I don't think its the right place to post here. In Game-Development section, IMO, People should discus about developing game, gathering resources, dealing with development problems and other stuff. Well, it may not be violating of the rules but I don't think its correct to show-off your stuff here. Don't get me wrong man, I'm not judging you but I'm just saying it'll be better to tell how you made it rather than telling that you've made it.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback ^^

You might be right. To to be honest I'm not familiar with this forum (ok, that's obvious) but I wanted to share my work so I started looking at the most likely place where I could start a topic and saw this one : Pokey the Finger - Android Game
    So, I conlcuded that it was probably ok for me to advertise my game here

And you're right, how I made it might be more relevant !

Well that's in Java, using libGDX, and as you can see it uses a huge number of particles .
    I've used simple tricks to make them performant (I don't use the one included in libGDX) and to make the game more "alive" :
    - One class per particles. That's tedious, but it allows me to make them as light as possible
    - Almost everything happens only one frame out of two. One out of four or once per second when it's possible.
    - You can see that it is very colorful, and every color evolve over time. Well that's all just based on 7 arrays of roughly 40 float, the only thing that evolve for the particles, blocs, paddle or balls is the current index.
    - Some indexes are actually floats, for the blocs mainly, that allows me to make them evolve on a sinusoidal curve (I hope that's the right word, English isn't my native language).
    - More broadly, I've tried to make everything as smooth as possible. Another example is when a ball hit something it grows, and then shrinks quickly cause it's sized is multiplied by 0.95f. Same logic is applied for the screenshake, the particles, the blur shader, the mini blocs that forms a full bloc... everything
    - The number of particles adapt in real time to the fps. It's really simple : On one hand, particles are often generated each frame, so less frames mean less particles. On the other hand I generate a number of particles proportional to the number of fps. Sometimes with a minimum if that's a key element like the balls.
    - The physic of the particles is about as simple as possible, but it works quite well : The only collide with the paddle and with three walls. I don't even bother to test the exact collision point, the center is enough, they are either too quick or too small for it to be noticeable anyway.

Well.. That's all I can think of for the moment
    Funny detail, beside the background and the tutorial button, the game uses only 1 1x1 texture and 1 32x32 textures (a circle)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Btw, I just downloaded it on my android-device, its real good man, I can keep playing it for hours, I've got to say you've done a great work . Its even better than it looks, (I don't mean that it looks bad in screenshots ), I really liked the multiple-balls feature and the cool particle effects, and the slow-motion effect's good too. But wouldn't it be better if there was some other method of controlling speed of the balls rather than just controlling the pad and it was less magnified on my device than it looks in the screens and it also starts slow.

And one more thing that I don't like about some games is that they keep a sort of freemium service, that is, by paying you get more things in the game which cannot be accessed if not paid, even when its a freeware software, same goes with your game (though its a reasonable thing but as standing as a freeware software, it should keep away from such things), that's why I always support and develop Open-Source software because its free from malware, nagware, adware, premium services and other things whereas freeware software is not.

Anyways its a really good game and if I were to vote it then I would give it an 8.5 out of 10.

And yes, I really don't think a Game-Development forum is a place to distribute your game instead of discussing about developing and I'm very firm on that. There is an increasing numbers of such posts lately in this section, but since this forum is "almost half-dead", its not a matter of much concern.

Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

Well that's in Java, using libGDX, and as you can see it uses a huge number of particles .
    I've used simple tricks to make them performant (I don't use the one included in libGDX) and to make the game more "alive" :
    - One class per particles. That's tedious, but it allows me to make them as light as possible
    - Almost everything happens only one frame out of two. One out of four or once per second when it's possible.
    - You can see that it is very colorful, and every color evolve over time. Well that's all just based on 7 arrays of roughly 40 float, the only thing that evolve for the particles, blocs, paddle or balls is the current index.
    - Some indexes are actually floats, for the blocs mainly, that allows me to make them evolve on a sinusoidal curve (I hope that's the right word, English isn't my native language).
    - More broadly, I've tried to make everything as smooth as possible. Another example is when a ball hit something it grows, and then shrinks quickly cause it's sized is multiplied by 0.95f. Same logic is applied for the screenshake, the particles, the blur shader, the mini blocs that forms a full bloc... everything
    - The number of particles adapt in real time to the fps. It's really simple : On one hand, particles are often generated each frame, so less frames mean less particles. On the other hand I generate a number of particles proportional to the number of fps. Sometimes with a minimum if that's a key element like the balls.
    - The physic of the particles is about as simple as possible, but it works quite well : The only collide with the paddle and with three walls. I don't even bother to test the exact collision point, the center is enough, they are either too quick or too small for it to be noticeable anyway.

Funny detail, beside the background and the tutorial button, the game uses only 1 1x1 texture and 1 32x32 textures (a circle)
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hexman
    Btw, I just downloaded it on my android-device, its real good man, I can keep playing it for hours, I've got to say you've done a great work . Its even better than it looks, (I don't mean that it looks bad in screenshots ), I really liked the multiple-balls feature and the cool particle effects, and the slow-motion effect's good too. But wouldn't it be better if there was some other method of controlling speed of the balls rather than just controlling the pad and it was less magnified on my device than it looks in the screens and it also starts slow.

And one more thing that I don't like about some games is that they keep a sort of freemium service, that is, by paying you get more things in the game which cannot be accessed if not paid, even when its a freeware software, same goes with your game (though its a reasonable thing but as standing as a freeware software, it should keep away from such things), that's why I always support and develop Open-Source software because its free from malware, nagware, adware, premium services and other things whereas freeware software is not.

Anyways its a really good game and if I were to vote it then I would give it an 8.5 out of 10.

And yes, I really don't think a Game-Development forum is a place to distribute your game instead of discussing about developing and I'm very firm on that. There is an increasing numbers of such posts lately in this section, but since this forum is "almost half-dead", its not a matter of much concern.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback ^^

You might be right. To to be honest I'm not familiar with this forum (ok, that's obvious) but I wanted to share my work so I started looking at the most likely place where I could start a topic and saw this one : Pokey the Finger - Android Game
    So, I conlcuded that it was probably ok for me to advertise my game here

And you're right, how I made it is more relevant !

About the whole freemium part. Well you can get everything just by investing some time in the game It's not at all a pay to win, I hate it as much as anyone else ^^. In fact it's designed to be played without paying, I always get to the maximum level in my games many time without paying. But if you want to pay to get there more quickly you can. I'm not trying to make a living out of this, but it would be nice if it could at least complement my revenue, so I'm trying
    Adds doesn't get work at all for me. Maybe I should put interstitial adds but there just annoying as hell.

It does starts slow yes. Maybe too much, it's always hard for me to strike a balance between giving the player that isn't familiar with the game time to understand what's going on and giving someone used to the game a fun experience asap.
    About the magnified.. You mean that it isn't as bright as in the youtube video ?
    About controlling the speed of the ball.. Well.. I'll think about that For the moment I don't see how without complexefying the controls too much

Thanks again for your interest !
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

About the whole freemium part. Well you can get everything just by investing some time in the game It's not at all a pay to win, I hate it as much as anyone else ^^. In fact it's designed to be played without paying, I always get to the maximum level in my games many time without paying. But if you want to pay to get there more quickly you can. I'm not trying to make a living out of this, but it would be nice if it could at least complement my revenue, so I'm trying Adds doesn't get work at all for me. Maybe I should put interstitial adds but there just annoying as hell.
    Well, I was not having a single problem about the freemium feature, but many software do. I call them "nagware", because they keep nagging you to pay. As for your part it did well, I did not even feel that I was playing some sort of stripped "free" version of a paid game, it'll be good if it stays like that. And its good that its not too heavy sum to pay, just 50INR, most people won't even bat an eye on that, but the main problem is that the way you have to pay, sometimes my accounts are not compatible on the internet (there are lots of accounts like that in India), sometimes I don't want to pay from the net because Cyber-Crime is a big issue here and most people discourage paying from any internet based service.

And yeah, the quick-review I gave was just after 10 minutes of playing so some things may be not accurate according to it.

I gave it to a friend, who told me that the game was awesome but he wasn't able to get past my highscore and when I asked about it he said that the pad is a little sloppy. The way its controlled is the main problem, in most android (and touch-based) systems, you swipe your finger across the screen to move an "object" but in this game you've to tap at any place and the pad comes to that location, and when you try to swipe, suddenly the balls will get fast and down they go (okay, once you're playing in the slow-motion but if suddenly the balls get fast you'll be surprised to know how problematic this can get). And there was also some problem with the scoring system, okay when I tap High-Score, I get connected to the network, but when I lose in the game (having the score lower than the high-score) I'm able to see my last High-Score. And when I scored 800-something, it did not save it instead it kept the old score. I hope you'll fix that.

And I don't see a reason why there are tutorials, okay I agree that they can teach you good skills but an in-game tutorial should be for a beginner (as it is in other games), or at least you can mark them separately as Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. I'm not trying to suggest you to add this, its just my humble opinion.

Thanks.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JulienBe

Wow, quite a good deal of detail for a game man. I didn't mean that much of detail, I just meant helping the newbies and getting them in the right direction about how to create a game but well done. That's quite an information.

Btw, I'm also a Java programmer. I've heard that Google uses its own variant of Java, and it has not most of the Java's library classes and I'm not quite delighted to hear that. You see, IMO, Java's one of the biggest strength lies in its library (Imagine Java without the java.lang classes, would you still be able to program in it?) and because you don't have to do extra work nor you've to understand how it works, just it'll do the work for you. Surely Google must've added its own libraries (I guess so), but as Herbert Schildt states in his book:

Java as a totality is a combination of the Java language itself, plus its standard classes. As you will see, the class libraries provide much of the functionality that
    comes with Java.
    And we the Java programmers, spend a lot of time learning how to use these features and if suddenly we were given a totally different standard-library, we will have to do it all over again. I don't know about the details but I do know that many Java libraries are not supported in android (probably because it offers a restricted environment).

So, I've not tried yet to develop android-applications but I do have realized that its growing in popularity but currently I'm too busy with my projects. And I've never tried making a game, so I guess I'll do it later, maybe.

Thanks.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi all !

There has been an update introducing procedurally generated levels with a coherent pattern

You can see some examples here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh3s3hV5hGE
  19. No Profile Picture

I must say you got a great game. Maybe try to work on some logic though.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You should also add some more music and sound effects in the game. Only one sequence looping over does not impress much, and it continues all over even when the player is in the main-menu. You should add separate music for gameplay and for the main-menu. And there is some problem with the scoring system too, maybe you should try to fix that. And take a look at this:

The way its controlled is the main problem, in most android (and touch-based) systems, you swipe your finger across the screen to move an "object" but in this game you've to tap at any place and the pad comes to that location, and when you try to swipe, suddenly the balls will get fast and down they go (okay, once you're playing in the slow-motion but if suddenly the balls get fast you'll be surprised to know how problematic this can get).
    I hope you get what I'm saying

Thanks.
  23. No Profile Picture

What do you mean by logic ?

And yes, the music.. well that's always the same, but that's the only I've got, and I'm not at all a musician, this one was made by a friend ^^ I guess I will get to make music eventually, but that would take a huge amount of time so that's not my main focus.

I'll look into the highscore I'm trying to reproduce the problem.

And yes, the slow motion can be abused.. I'm still searching for an elegant solution. I don't want to complicate things with a stupid timer, and I don't want to remove this fonctionnality either ^^
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

And yes, the slow motion can be abused.. I'm still searching for an elegant solution. I don't want to complicate things with a stupid timer, and I don't want to remove this fonctionnality either ^^
    Well, the slow-motion's not a problem, the way its controlled is. When you hold on the pad (or anywhere on the screen) the balls go fast, and this is not much of a problem, since you can slow-down & speed-up your balls anytime. The main problem is that when you tap (or hold) anywhere on the screen, not only the balls go fast, but the pad also goes to the position on the screen where you tapped. I think the pad should not be controlled simply by tapping anywhere on the screen, it should be controlled like you scroll the screen in android, by double-tapping and swiping in the right direction.

Thanks
  27. No Profile Picture

So, I've finally completed the dynamic lights mode !

You can see the definitive result here :

And of course get the game here : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....julien.blocus

Hope you'll enjoy it
  29. No Profile Picture

Hi all !

I've updated Blocus, it's a small modification on the sprites but it really makes the game a lot easier to understand

Few examples :

And.. The trailer is already outdated :/
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo