1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Artificial intelligence methods

Hi there,

I have this class where I have to choose a game to experiment different artificial intelligence methods on it and compare them. However, I don't know which game to choose from. I can design the whole game or juste modify open-source game.

I thought of boardgames and pursuit games (Cube?). What do you think would be fun and not-too-much-of-work (cause I have other classes) and easy-to-apply-different-artificial-intelligence-methods?

Thanks a lot,

Jeremie
  3. Contributing User

You could talk about algorithms.

For example a lot of games use the A* Algorithm which is used to find the quickest route to a certain entity, maybe you could use it on a game like Pacman?

And although not a very "complex" algorith, did you know if you constantly follow the left side of ANY maze you will eventually find your way out? I Wish i didn't know myself, Ruins the fun ...
    Last edited by calpol2004; January 24th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey calpol,

As for the algorithms, we'll learn a bunch of them so that's not the problem. I'll find some interesting to apply.

What I'm looking for is game ideas. Pacman sounds cool or something like a maze with monsters, etc. Have any more ideas?

Thanks,

Jeremie
  7. No Profile Picture

Why not something with Ants ?

They could be easy to implement and funny to watch ?

Comments on this post

• tagmanadvance agrees : Ant farm remake =D
  9. No Profile Picture

or maybe some sort of alien life simulator :]
  11. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

AI is simply weighed decision making. Which action takes priority based on certain criterion? I would demonstrate this with as much fluff as possible. On a project like this its all about the fluff, which happens to be the funnest part. I think an Ant Farm would be a great way to do this, even without a GUI. You could generate a bunch of variables (earth density, food production, colony size, rainfall, ect) and watch your ant make (prioritized) decisions based on these independent variables.
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Connect 4 would be relatively simple to implement, has limited choices for every turn and is still a bit more interesting than tictactoe...
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  15. No Profile Picture

An efficient Sudoku producer, one which has element of randomness yet still has possible answers to it

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo