1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Artist with Game Questions...

heyo!

Just joined today so I'm jumpin' right in.

I'm an artist who recently launched his site and blog, have a solo show in oct, have worked in the animation/illustration fields and would like to expand my palette so to speak.

Long story short I'm planning on making some online games for my various characters but would like some feedback on how to go about it.

First off my site programmer also works at a game studio as a programmer so that base is covered.

I was thinking about making a DEMO of the games, like maybe one full level of play...

I want to keep the games fun, fresh and simple so the games would range from Donkey Kong/Buster Bros style to Double Dragon/Captain Commando type style.

My questions are::

1.What's a good resolution to work at? 640x480?
    2.Is there a better way to raise interest besides a playable demo?
    3.What's the best program to make sprites in?
    4.Is this a decent working plan or am I off my rocker?

Any advice or insults welcome!

Thanks in advance!
  3. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So you want desktop games to show off your artwork? You do realize that no matter how amazing your artwork is, making a game that works, even if it's half-assed and garbage, is going to take a lot longer to make than it took you to draw whatever you drew, right?

Resolution - desktop game? Fullscreen or no? There's lots of variables. Also depends on your artwork.

Better way - of course there is. There's always a better way to do something. Always. The question is how much it will cost and how hard it is to do.

Best program - It depends on how you draw things. I know people that can draw a picture in paint that's so amazing it seems like it's real, or like someone took a picture and scanned it in with a slightly poor printer. I also know people who have photoshop programs worth hundreds who draw like crap. It all depends on your preferences and your abilities.

Working plan - depends how much money you can sink into this.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  5. No Profile Picture

Not trying to make desktop games to show off my work. That's what the site/blog and shows/exhibitions are for.

Toys, apparel, prints, stationery, books, games, etc...

I meant is there a standard regarding resolutions, "better ways"(examples) and programs for sprites. Photoshop or Paint Pro?

And yes I realize the time/money thing. I've been involved in other projects somewhat similar - toys/cel animation/development so I'm not looking for a quick fix.

Just a decent start.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't worry about what resolution you should have or even need. If you have user defined that's one thing off your back. You can be the best when it comes to drawing but can you animate your drawings(2d look 3d). How complicated do you want to get 2d scroller 3d scroller? D3d/OGl Allegro? Programming language using?

How many sprites/bitmaps can you draw animated. If you have to few the game will seem bland if you have to many the game may become to complicated.

I see you have adventure games set into mine but what is your target audience?

Lastly is your programmer better at what he does then at how you draw? If so you should be good to go on what ever you want to do.

If it is an independent project it probably wont cost you any money and it all comes down to how much time do you have.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Thanks much for the info!

I majored in animation so drawing the characters with volume and flow won't be an issue.

The first games(demos) will be from Donkey Kong types to 2D adventure scrollers.

Before I start drawing ANYTHING I'm going to consult with my programmer to see what he's going to program with, the limitations, etc. I just wanted to come on here first and get my toes wet and ask him the right questions.

The demographic is determined by the property itself. Varied properties for various age groups.

My programmer programs at a well-known game company so I'm guessing his programming skills exceed my animation skills, which is one of the reasons I wanted to work with him in the first place.

Thanks again SO MUCH for the info, really helped a lot.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's excellent as a programmer we always look for a good artist.

Usually a good programmer can not draw and a good artist can not effectivly program

Hope you have good luck programming your game. If your programmer is already into game programming you might want to set your goals a little higher. Coming up with something unique is all about game design. A programmer(especially a good one) can usually make something better then expected.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo