1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Availability or high-quality graphics?

Hi everyone.
    That's my first thread.
    You know, as for the quality, desktop games have rich graphics,
    while browser games (although with quite good graphics), have great availability.
    If we compare browser games availability and desktop games cool graphics what would you choose?
    Or all these don't matter if a gameplay is great?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by small_ms
    Hi everyone.
    That's my first thread.
    You know, as for the quality, desktop games have rich graphics,
    while browser games (although with quite good graphics), have great availability.
    If we compare browser games availability and desktop games cool graphics what would you choose?
    Or all these don't matter if a gameplay is great?

Thanks.
    I'm guessing you want to know, where to start and/or what to develop for: browser or desktop?

If you want to start off your game-development "carrier" - you know, getting your name out, maybe make some money - then chose the "easy" way: browser games.

If you are planning on making a great, solid and beautiful PC game, and you want it to touch the surface of high-content providers - like Steam - then aim for that.

It's hard to say, because I don't know what you want. I don't know, if you have any specific knowledge, when it comes to game-development either (programming, etc.).

Final note: If you want to build up a 2D game, you should probably stick with browser games. If you want to create a fully functional 3D game, with proper models, codes and design, then head for the desktop games. Then contact a provider, who's willing to advertise the game - a platform like Steam.
  5. No Profile Picture

Availability or high-quality graphics?

Hi FredGaming,
    Thank you for your response.
    In therms of game development I agree with you,
    but I'm not a developer actually.
    I'm just curious what is more important for gamers - game availability or great graphics. What would make you play continuously?
    Or these things are not that important if a gameplay is entertaining?
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by small_ms
    Hi FredGaming,
    Thank you for your response.
    In therms of game development I agree with you,
    but I'm not a developer actually.
    I'm just curious what is more important for gamers - game availability or great graphics. What would make you play continuously?
    Or these things are not that important if a gameplay is entertaining?
    In the modern gaming community, impressive graphics is a must. Almost, no discussion.

But, if I were to find a game on the internet, I wouldn't be expecting amazing graphics - I would be expecting fun and entertaining gameplay. That's why, I would be browsing for games on-line in the first place.

In the other hand, if I bought a game, I would be wanting both good graphics and interesting gameplay mechanics. Unless the gameplay is mind-blowing, like i.e Minecraft (some would say).

Bottom-line is, it depends where to find the game. iPhone: Fun and easy-to-pick-up gameplay. Desktop: Entertaining, beautiful and interesting gameplay. Browser: Crazy-fun to waste some time (stunning graphics not needed).

I personally love good looking games that are as close to reality as possible. With - of course - entertaining gameplay. Other than that, just fun! That keeps me continuously play the game. Graphics is not a must. But that's just me
  9. No Profile Picture

Gameplay is king. Graphics are secondary.

If you don't believe me, look at VVVVVV (which is one of my all time favorite games).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo