Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

About the annoying restriction on "server side java"
    What restriction is this? You aren't going to be using a webserver, so it matters not if your host has java servlets or whatever enabled.

i guess it would still need server side java to make it multiplayer etc.
    I don't see how. On the client side, nothing restricts from your networking. And the server component can be in any language that supports networking.

The whole concept of loading models and textures and animation is enormous. It's not something one of us can describe in a forum post. You'll effectively have to Google on this. You may also end up buying some books on the subject matter.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Oler1s
    it matters not if your host has java servlets or whatever enabled.

I don't see how. On the client side, nothing restricts from your networking. And the server component can be in any language that supports networking.
    Ok, this seems much more hopeful having it this way. I think i may have under estimated what jME was capable of i was kind of under the impression it was javas version of XNA . But seeing as i have not made any proper steps towards any particular language i am still deciding between the C# and XNA or Java and jME. I think it will all in all be easier to forget the fixation about having the game play through the browser and if it is run from a clients machine then connect to the server. Then i don't need to worry about the extra cost of buying the .NET framework for my site.

So i will google and read about the basics of "map making" then i might use XNA as the interface was good and it seemed quite powerful.

I must say thanks Oler1s for helping me all this time.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was reading through the hosts support site and found this -

Originally Posted by http://streamlinesupport.net/index.php?page=show&id=31
    For security reasons, our server will not respond to pings or traceroutes
    Does this mean no multiplayer game as it involves connecting to the server from another PC?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Does this mean no multiplayer game as it involves connecting to the server from another PC?
    Well, no. Think about getting a webpage. That involves connection to the server from another PC.

Comments on this post

• Agri agrees : Thanks for all the help!
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. Contributing User

I think your jumping in the deep end a bit here. You really should try something 2d first, hell, maybe try some programming languages out first, php will help a lot but you need to read soe tutorials to familarize yourself with c-style languages and OOP. Get to grips with things like animation loops and how to use timers and getting key input and the like. Experiment a bit before you skip to building a 3d multiplayer game? your doomed to failure otherwise.

For a begginner i suggest you go with java. It's got a scene graph (google it) so it's a lot easier than C or C++. If your going to use C then i'd go with opengl...DirectX is a lot easier with C++ but i myself would use opengl in both cases. Be warned though. with opengl and directx your pretty much drawing 2d shapes and saying which ones on top of eachother (z-index)... your constantly having to worry about hidden surface removal and things like physics and lighting will anniahlate the unexperienced programmer.

I've been learning the techniques for creating a game with JAVA myself and i've found "killer game programming in java" a pretty decent book. JAVA is a fairly easy language to pick up too, just read some tutorials on the web to familiarize yourself.
    Last edited by calpol2004; December 15th, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo