January 5th, 2012, 04:24 PM
[Book] Cocos2d for iPhone 1 Game Development Cookbook
Hey everyone, this is long-time forum lurker Nathan Burba.
After a year of writing and development I am proud to say that Cocos2d for iPhone 1 Game Development Cookbook is now in print!
This book is designed to be the ultimate 2D game development book. It includes the full code of over 100 recipes built using XCode 4 and iOS 5. Every major area of game development is covered.
Recipes are designed to be modular. Get the book, download the code and plug them into your project.
Here are some of the stand-out recipes:
- Texture filled polygons
- Realistic 2D lighting
- Performing gestures
- Creating a vehicle
- Simulating bullets
- Creating a top-down isometric game engine
- Creating a loading screen with indicator
- Using positional audio in a game
- Recording audio
- Speech recognition and text-to-speech
- Firing projectiles at moving targets
- AI flocking using Boids
- A* pathfinding in a side-scroller
- Using Lua for dialogue trees
- Bluetooth/Wi-Fi voice chat without GKPeerPicker
- Wi-Fi client/server chat using CFNetwork
Go to the book website at cocos2dcookbook.com and you can download the first chapter (17 recipes) for free (PDF + XCode project).
You can also explore the entire book, watch videos explaining each recipe and download free apps to test the recipe demos on your device.
You can purchase the book on Amazon or from Packt Publishing.
If you have any questions you can send me an email at cocos2dcookbook AT gmail DOT com
I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to cocos2d-iphone. Without such a great framework and community to support it I wouldn't have the opportunity to write this book.