1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cartoon Game Engines?

Is there a free cartoon looking gam engine that looks like its from family guy or something? Iv searched all over the place but nothing.... I always wanted to make a game on this 3D Artistic Cartoon I always wanted to make to also be a adventure game.
  3. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ajm113
    Is there a free cartoon looking gam engine that looks like its from family guy or something? Iv searched all over the place but nothing.... I always wanted to make a game on this 3D Artistic Cartoon I always wanted to make to also be a adventure game.
    I think that creating a 3D cartoon game is a matter of applying cartoon shaders to all the objects in your "world".

This can be done in the modeling software you're using,

I doubt whether there is an engine for this, but I recommend you google on possible opengl or directx solutions

Good Luck,

Wouter
    Everyone can write code. Being creative while doing it is a different story .
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by wouterjj
    I think that creating a 3D cartoon game is a matter of applying cartoon shaders to all the objects in your "world".

This can be done in the modeling software you're using,

I doubt whether there is an engine for this, but I recommend you google on possible opengl or directx solutions

Good Luck,

Wouter
    Hey There,

Is there an SDK for XIII?
    If so you could make a mod for XIII based around your ideas or take a peek at what engine the game uses and the code that goes with it.

Cheers,
    Tom
  7. No Profile Picture

Update:
    From what it looks like in the "Making of XIII" videos, the cartoon/comic like graphica are simply real life graphics, using a cartoon filter found in programs such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, which are made into cell-shaded models. Adding a thin black line around the outside of the model at the time of rendering give a drawing type effect.

If you have basic skills in skinning/modelling/world creation, you should be able to create a basic cartoon/comic type game with no problems. If you are making the game for a specific cartoon/comic, you could even try to import the character in from a website or picture scan.

Edit: MORE INFO-

What is the process of producing a cell-shaded image?

In fact, there are many different techniques depending on what element you consider: object, character, layout, background. Letís take a character. To explain it simply, there are 2 major steps to produce a cell-shaded character. First, you have to produce the black outline of the character. Inside the character, we reproduce a second 3D character model in black which is just a little fatter than the first one. That is how have the black lines.
    Then you have to work on light, you must recalculate all the faces and lightings to make them sharper as you have no faded lights in cell shading. At the end, the engine needs to calculate 3 times as much faces for a cell shaded character than a normal one. That is now possible with next gen consoles and the current PCs but it was completely impossible a few years ago.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow someone needs to read onto fragment shaders... But heck, even with a vertex shader you can achieve what he wants.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo