1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cloning: where's the line?

I wanted to know what you guys thought about game cloning and where exactly the line is there. I made a game recently that is similar to another game, because I got the code for the game's logic from the other one, added some functionality and toggled the speeds. I then changed the theme of the game with my own artwork. So it looks a little the same because its the same type of game but it is completely different. I made this for fun, but I wanted to put it on Google Play so my family and friends in other states could play it too, but I'm wondering if I'm going to get sued or something. If you use code from other games does that make the author part owner of your game? Where is the line?
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Depends on what the license is on the code you used. If it has an open license there probably isn't an issue but if not you may have problems.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You have to be incredibly careful.

For example there is a case at the moment involving a guy who wrote a game several years ago which had the word Candy in the title. (Can't remember the exact name, it was on Slashdot last week though so should be easy to find).

Despite the fact that he wrote his game years before Candy Crush Saga came out, he is being sued for the use of the word Candy.

One guy lost his job when he was working on a game called Star Command. He generated some characters and gave them rude names. These were visible on a screen shot that went out to a magazine and was published. Court cases followed, etc. etc.

When it comes to games, it seems any excuse for a court case is worth a punt.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo