1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Confused on where to start

Well, I'm a pretty DECENT programmer, I know some Python and a little bit of C. I've recently decided I want to get into game development a bit. I have some great ideas in my head that I'd love to see come to life.

But, I don't exactly know where to start. I'm willing to start with some simple things such as pong. But I eventually want to get into 3D game development. Where exactly should I start with game programming? Specifically for the Xbox 360. I've been recommended the XNA framework + C# but I have heard other opinions too, such as UDK + Torque3D. Any suggestions?
    Keep in mind I've never programmed a game before in my life, other than a Rock Paper Scissors in Python :P
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If you feel comfortable with Python, then PyGame is probably a good place to start. There are a number of tutorials and examples you can work through to get up to speed.

Though keep in mind that "game programming" isn't anything special. You'll be off to a good start if you have a firm grasp on programming (both your language of choice and the general purpose data structures and algorithms) and can read and use library documentation.
    sub{*{$::{$_}}{CODE}==$_[0]&& print for(%:: )}->(\&Meh);
  5. No Profile Picture

I recommend you a C/C++ compiler (c++ builder 6 enterprise) and TDx Library for game development

you can make interesting things in that environment but remember study a bit of C languaje and C++ extensions and data organization (types, structures etc)

this compiler is able to create videogames
  7. No Profile Picture

Hello I am new and i designed some steps in advance 'C',but i am unable to access some necessary code.Please recommend to me for some Game Making books in C&C++.

Dinosaur Jesus
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jimmi
    Hello I am new and i designed some steps in advance 'C',but i am unable to access some necessary code.Please recommend to me for some Game Making books in C&C++.

Dinosaur Jesus
    Game making is a very broad category with a lot of pretty steep learning curves. People don't walk out of college and jump into brain surgery nor do programmers build a xbox 360 game as their first project.

There's a lot of programming languages out there and a lot of different game types, deciding on what you hope to accomplish with a game might help you decide on a technology to make it happen. I found it's best to start with something small that you feel you can already handle and expand from there. Is the game you want to develop a 1st person shooter? RTS? etc etc.

It's hard to go wrong with experimenting with something like C++, virtually everything you want to do on a computer can be built with C and it's descendants. If you're new to building games and working alone you really need to pick a "smallish" project and build it so you can learn as you go and see what you do and don't know. Actually working on a project will lead you to specific questions that a place like this can help you with.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo