1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Converting Sketup Models To 3ds

ok i got through renaming it zip and extracting even downloaded fbx it shows its isntalled but when u go through the start menu the fbx is not there but on the c drive programs it is there is there somethingelse i can use im also very new to this or can i send the dae file to u to maybe convert for me im useing 3d studip max 9 it shows it will open that formate but it wont what do i do thanks n advance
    Last edited by randallrivy11; February 13th, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: takign qoat out
  3. Contributing User

The FBX converter does not create a link in the Start menu, as you've noticed. Follow my instructions to create a link to the FBX converter on your desktop:

Originally Posted by paulscode
    Now, in order to run the FBX converter, you have to find it first (there is no nice little icon created during the install process). I suggest you create a shortcut icon on your desktop like this:
    RIGHT-CLICK on the desktop and navigate to:
    New -> Shortcut
    Click the "Browse..." button. You can navigate through the "Browse For Folder" by clicking on the little plus signs next to the icons. Do this to navigate to:
    My Computer -> C: -> Program Files -> Autodesk -> FBX -> FBXConverter -> 2006.11.2 -> FbxConverterUI.exe
    Click on "FbxConverterUI.exe" to highlight it, then click the "OK" button.
    Click the "Next >" button.
    Click the "Finish" button.

Now there will be an icon on your desktop to the FBX Converter. Double-click on it to run the program.
    If you prefer to have the link in your start menu instead, just drag it into the Start menu from your desktop.

To be painfully honest, this is really pretty basic stuff - I recommend you take a beginners computer class to become more familiar with how to use Windows. You might also want to take a typing class as well. It would save you a whole lot of headache in the long run.
  5. No Profile Picture

i might be doing something wrong,but when i click convert the cursor pauses for a few second then stops and no new files appears ,nor does it change the formate from dae to fbx
  7. Contributing User

That's what happens when the FBX converter isn't able to convert the file. Have you tried to import the .dae file into Max? If that doesn't work, you may have to try using Blender to convert the file.
  9. No Profile Picture

That's what happens when the FBX converter isn't able to convert the file. Have you tried to import the .dae file into Max? If that doesn't work, you may have to try using Blender to convert the file.
    don't know how to use blender i've got it and really don't like it even though i'm new to all of this.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by randallrivy11
    don't know how to use blender i've got it and really don't like it even though i'm new to all of this.
    Makes two of us - I don't like Blender either.
  13. No Profile Picture

Makes two of us - I don't like Blender either.
    i did try to import it in to 3d studio max though it wouldn't open it i have no idea whatelse to even try hard to do this and serch for anew computer to replace the one that i'm getting rid of
  15. Contributing User

ohwellsorryicouldnthelpyouthen
  17. No Profile Picture

ohwellsorryicouldnthelpyouthen
    i know is their any other program that will convert it im gonna redownload the skp file and try it again i prolly missed something somewhere
  19. No Profile Picture

sketchup to 3ds, my solution

i downloaded FBX converter, and it doesn't convert my files too.
    1_So, i reopened the skp file and exploded every components and groups in sketchup (you may need to explode only components, but i exploded everything);
    2_exported it to google earth 4
    3_changed the extension of the exported file (from kmz to zip);
    4_opened the zip and get the dae file;
    5_now FBX converter did his work.

hope it can be useful, and clear (i'm not completely sure for my english)

saluti da Tollo
  21. No Profile Picture

i have probelms with the google earth part.well when i saved it and went to my docs i cant change the .something into .zip
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jasonjays
    i have probelms with the google earth part.well when i saved it and went to my docs i cant change the .something into .zip
    What operating system are you using? If you are using Windows XP, make sure you can see the file extensions:

1) Open the "My Documents" folder (or wherever you saved your google earth kmz file).

2) Go to Tools->Folder Options.

3) Go to the "View" tab".

4) UNcheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

5) Click "OK".

Now you should be able to rename your something.kmz file to something.zip (right-click on it and select "Rename").

If you are using Windows Vista, you're on your own for figuring out how to change file extensions
  25. No Profile Picture

Smile thanks

What operating system are you using? If you are using Windows XP, make sure you can see the file extensions:

1) Open the "My Documents" folder (or wherever you saved your google earth kmz file).

2) Go to Tools->Folder Options.

3) Go to the "View" tab".

4) UNcheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

5) Click "OK".

Now you should be able to rename your something.kmz file to something.zip (right-click on it and select "Rename").

If you are using Windows Vista, you're on your own for figuring out how to change file extensions
    okay thanks
  27. No Profile Picture

Good luck with that
  29. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all the work.

But there is an easier way to do this. Download the Sketchup Pro trial version, which gives you 8 hours of time.

That should do for a few hundred conversions.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo