1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cost of developing gaming software?

How much to develop software similar to online poker sites where players can join games (which they can find in the client lobby) and play for varying amounts? The lobby will be essentially the same as for online poker and the game play will be different (it's a different game). Any ideas how much professional software development such as this costs? What types of companies can I contact to find out more? Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The costs associated with developing and launching a custom website are usually quite high, and almost always higher than you expect at the beginning. In the US, you would probably be looking at something between 20,000 and 80,000 USD. In countries with lower labor costs this could be less.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    The costs associated with developing and launching a custom website are usually quite high, and almost always higher than you expect at the beginning. In the US, you would probably be looking at something between 20,000 and 80,000 USD. In countries with lower labor costs this could be less.
    Thank you for your reply!

Just a couple questions...

Does this amount increase when factoring in real money gaming as well?

Also, for online poker sites (and what I am looking to develop) a client is downloaded and used to play. Is this what you are referring to with these amounts?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

that will have slight effect on DEVELOPMENT costs however when you are dealing with REAL money you will be adding alot more to the mix in legal fees and licensing. I know an attorney who handles such matters and charges around $15,000 for initial retention for consulting. and that does not include litigation, or licensing fees.

Originally Posted by fresh13
    Thank you for your reply!

Just a couple questions...

Does this amount increase when factoring in real money gaming as well?

Also, for online poker sites (and what I am looking to develop) a client is downloaded and used to play. Is this what you are referring to with these amounts?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by portcitysoftwar
    that will have slight effect on DEVELOPMENT costs however when you are dealing with REAL money you will be adding alot more to the mix in legal fees and licensing. I know an attorney who handles such matters and charges around $15,000 for initial retention for consulting. and that does not include litigation, or licensing fees.
    This is good news. Would you say that 200-300k is an adequate budget for starting something such as this? E-Oreo mentions that projects often cost much more than anticipated (which I am aware of). The challenge is formulating a solid liberal estimate at the start.

Given 100k for development and 50k in legal fees, is 300k a liberal budget to have an up and running professional, active site?

Thanks
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

That does seem reasonable to me. Often when people ask this question they don't understand the cost of software development and are expecting to be able to get it built well for a couple thousand dollars, but it's clear that you do understand the actual scale.

Handling real money isn't actually much different from handling virtual money, so that won't have a noticeable impact on development costs.

The numbers I gave were specifically for something web based; I have no experience with doing estimates for desktop clients, so I am not sure exactly how that would affect the cost. My guess is that it would be a bit higher, although not radically so.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    That does seem reasonable to me. Often when people ask this question they don't understand the cost of software development and are expecting to be able to get it built well for a couple thousand dollars, but it's clear that you do understand the actual scale.

Handling real money isn't actually much different from handling virtual money, so that won't have a noticeable impact on development costs.

The numbers I gave were specifically for something web based; I have no experience with doing estimates for desktop clients, so I am not sure exactly how that would affect the cost. My guess is that it would be a bit higher, although not radically so.
    I appreciate your responses. This is very good news.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo