Thread: Cost Question?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cost Question?

What is the minimal you would think to create a MMORPG lets say someone like "runescape" but with alot of different stuff? just im asking about the concept of the game.. and how much does people here think it would cost?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

There are many factors to cost you will need to be more specific than how much will it cost. Are you going to do this yourself or have a team help develop and design? Once its developed you'll need a dedicated server and be able to have it located at a data centre these costs will vary depending on where you live.
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by AvsH
    What is the minimal you would think to create a MMORPG lets say someone like "runescape" but with alot of different stuff? just im asking about the concept of the game.. and how much does people here think it would cost?
    im not quite sure on what you mean...i get the part about a game like runescape, but your asking about the concept of the game and how much it would cost? what game?

but i guess you can make one for free if you do it by yourself or with friends, it might take a while...but then you will have to pay for servers. If you plan on hiring people to make this game it will cost A LOT of money, but im not exactly sure on how much A LOT is...its just...a lot..
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Once Upon a time there was a thread and it was called "Developement cost and time for a game similiar to RuneScape classic?". It lived on the first page of threads and was visited frequently by friendly users to discuss it's topic...
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you code it yourself, it will be free

if you want a pro to do it for you, a big game like that will cost you well over $500
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by mikey1090
    if you code it yourself, it will be free

if you want a pro to do it for you, a big game like that will cost you well over $500
    Wrong. Part of Runescape also includes things like the server(s) (which is expensive hardware) and the internet connection(s). Time is also costly and it would definitely require a lot of time.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"runescape" but with alot of different stuff?
    Your question is quite not specific, "a lot of different stuff" means what? Someone might want to answer this as - you will require lots of resources and $$. Will that be a helpful answer to you. No, obviously not. So be specific in your question. A little clarification would be much of help. All the Best.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

k yes me and so far my couple programmers from this company are going to try to code it mostly all ourselves (also what does runescape use? Javascript? lil flash? etc.?) but yea we are hopeing to code it all ourselves..

yes i know servers will be expensive and all

and what i ment by "all of different stuff" i was talking bout game ideas.. not cost wise..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo