1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Courses on GameInstitute.com?

Hi,

I was considering purchasing a course from http://www.gameinstitute.com but they are a little expensive.

Has anyone here actually followed one of the courses? Has anyone here considered them? Would they be worthwhile?

I would like to know whether it would be a good idea to try them.

Best regards,
    rarse.
  3. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by rarse
    Hi,

I was considering purchasing a course from http://www.gameinstitute.com but they are a little expensive.

Has anyone here actually followed one of the courses? Has anyone here considered them? Would they be worthwhile?

I would like to know whether it would be a good idea to try them.

Best regards,
    rarse.
    Hi,

welcome to Devshed.

Personally I wouldnt as most information they appear to impart to the student is freely available online. What course in particular were you looking at?

Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

im no expert or anything so this is all in my opinion
    but i would not pay for those courses as A lot of java information can be found online for free, as you go on you can search up whatever you need and find it. And you can always use these forums if you need further explanation
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well i agree that most things you need to know for game programming can probably found on the net for free or be bought through some books. But being tought something instead of having to figure it you on your own is just faster. From what i gathered on that page they use a lot of self study and provide some sort of video stream live lectures as well as forums (which you have here as well). I have no experience with lectures over the internet but i'd prefere some real classes where you can talk to the people directly. And without actually trying one of their courses there's no way to know how good their material is and i know from experience that this makes a huge difference. I can be worth a bit of money to get some well structured and fleshed out materials to learn from but they might just hand copies of stuff collected from the internet... I don't know.
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo