1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating choose own adventure graphics like mass effect

Hi, I'd like to be able to add animated graphic files in the form of mp4s or AVIs to a text based game, where the text gives you story choices about what happens next. Can anyone give me any advice about which way to go.
    I was thinking of trying to create the game in python but don't know how to make python trigger a video file, and I was thinking of trying to use illumination software creator, but that doesn't seem to allow anything beyond static jpegs.

Yes, I am a noob. Any constructive criticism would be great.
  3. Editor-in-Beef

Hey Cristo,

I'd say the best place for you to start is with whatever language you have a base knowledge in and go from there. If you have a background in Python, take a look at PyGame - might be of help to you.

I'm a huge fan of text based games and choose your own adventures - I run a text based MUD myself and created a flipbook choose your own adventure using Flash and a flipbook module (this was several years ago). I didn't add animated graphics or audio for it (it was for an advertiser and they didn't want it) but the option was definitely there.

I'd say list some of the languages and the degree you know them to and I'm sure some of the folks around here can steer you in the right direction.
    Editor-in-Beef
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks alot for the feedback. Flash might be helpful if I can upload mp4s or AvIs of maya animations or stopmotion animations onto it. I don't know what MUD is. I'll check out pygame. Thanks again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo