1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb Creating a image/text based MMO

Well, i'm a newbie in this forum and i realise that a lot of people ask the same that i'm going to ask, but i'll be more specific (and realistic). Sorry if my english isn't perfect, it's not my native language
    I'm thinking about create a game just like WoW... nah, just kidding xD

Let's begin from the start of all this, my parents do programming stuff before i born (i'm 18 y/o) and they have even created a chess game that actually plays with you after reading like 10-15 professional chess books.

Now they want to create some web-based MMO (like everyone and his brother nowadays), just like Travian (image/text based MMO) or even better, turn-based RPG with some animations and stuff like that (like a SNES's Final Fantasy 6 but online, well at this point i'm a little less realistic but it will be really helpfull is you people can guide me a little about the development of this kind of games for the web ).

What i want to know is:
    - which languages people recommend for this kind of games (flash?, java?)
    - what kind of databases do i need? (MySQL?)
    - what kind of server?
    - what's about security?
    - what kind of client-server relationship is needed?
    - Is PHP enough for an image/text based MMO?

and all that kind of info. if someone knows some tutorial it will be great too.
    I'm not thinking this is a piece of cake, but we are (me and my parents) really engaged with the idea to create a serious MMO project and make it work for 2009 or early months of 2010.

if you think that i'm skipping something really important please let me know.

Thanks for the time you take to read my post
  3. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

i forget something really important... i want to make my games browser-based
  5. Contributing User

Either Flash or Java would work well for a project like this, I think. Choosing between the two depends on your personal preference and any programming background you currently have (for example, Java is much easier to learn if you have a background in c++).

If you have no current database experience, I would recommend MySQL, because it is free and extremely well supported. Of course if you have experience using other database types, you might want to go with what you know or what you have access to (depending on where your game will be hosted).

I personally don't have a lot of current knowledge on game servers, so I'll leave the remaining questions for others to talk about.
  7. No Profile Picture

thanks Paul... now i have a better idea about the development and the process that i will follow.

i think that what i need to do first is to write ALL the game in paper (algorithms, battle systems, commerce systems, stats systems and whatever) and program it later when everything is vodka-clear.

If someone knows what kind of server do i need please let me know

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo