1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Should I develop this game in XNA or just C++?

Hello everyone,

So after brainstorming for a cool game project to do, I came up with the following (its not the complete details though):

I would like to make a Resident-evil horror survival game, where you go from the top floor of a building down to the bottom, shooting monsters of different kinds on each floor.

I also want to make a puzzle sequence that's optional for extra weapons and upgrades as well that's available to the user.

I don't mean to be vague, I just would like to keep the project's integral ideas to myself, not as a sort of copyright infringement measure because this idea has been done so many times before, but I hope I got my main points across.

Anyway, so its really just a 2-D type top down shooter, just like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and I want to later make a 3D sequel, but obviously I want to start 2D first.

Should I use XNA for this sort of idea, or straight up C++?

Also, recommend any books that you think are applicable.

Regardless, the languages I'm currently learning / are somewhat familiar with (still a beginner, not really intermediate yet) include: C++, C# (via Coursera's game programming in XNA course), Java, Python, and a LITTLE bit of R (not that it matters, but I figured I'd mention it)

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch for reading my post!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by HauntJemimah
    Hello everyone,

So after brainstorming for a cool game project to do, I came up with the following (its not the complete details though):

I would like to make a Resident-evil horror survival game, where you go from the top floor of a building down to the bottom, shooting monsters of different kinds on each floor.

I also want to make a puzzle sequence that's optional for extra weapons and upgrades as well that's available to the user.

I don't mean to be vague, I just would like to keep the project's integral ideas to myself, not as a sort of copyright infringement measure because this idea has been done so many times before, but I hope I got my main points across.

Anyway, so its really just a 2-D type top down shooter, just like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and I want to later make a 3D sequel, but obviously I want to start 2D first.

Should I use XNA for this sort of idea, or straight up C++?

Also, recommend any books that you think are applicable.

Regardless, the languages I'm currently learning / are somewhat familiar with (still a beginner, not really intermediate yet) include: C++, C# (via Coursera's game programming in XNA course), Java, Python, and a LITTLE bit of R (not that it matters, but I figured I'd mention it)

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch for reading my post!
    Anyone know?

I just want to know so as to start learning a particular program from two books I have available on either topic, so I would like to spend my time more efficiently ;D
  5. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Maybe you should have a look at this blog before you decide:
    http://www.wpcentral.com/xna-dead-long-live-xna
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ah I see, so its really shifting towards MonoGame.

Does it mean that I would still be able to make games with this program, and possibly sell them on say Steam?

And could I also still sell a created game on the Xbox Live marketplace?

I read the article though, I'm kind of still at a crossroads. I really like the pre-managed code ideas that XNA provides, but if support is ultimately gone, should I go with Unity3D or C++?

I don't mean to really force you to give me an answer, but if I'm interested in making 2D games at the moment that I could possibly put up on Steam, and later 3D stuff, what should I pick?

Anyway, thanks for the link. Its weird how they opened up the floodgates with Indie game developers when they first released it but now they want to just close it off again? That makes zero sense in my opinion, but obviously its because of that DRM-infested piece of **** Windows 8 right?
  9. No Profile Picture

intro

I have some basic programming be using C#, Microsoft Visual Basic or Java, you will have no problems to start coding your XNA project right away. All the software you need to start writing your XNA application is completely On the first page of Series 1 you can find the link where you can download Microsoft’s Game Studio 2.0.

Instead of writing small stand-alone chapters, I've opted to introduce you to the various XNA concepts one at a time, and gradually integrate the new concepts into our project as we move on. This way, you can see a real-world example in practice of all the features explained in the chapters.

I can find 5 series of XNA Tutorials on this site: one series on 2D game programming and 4 series on 3D game programming.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wait, so you created the book that was given for free by Microsoft's XNA download page or what?

Can you specify links?

Either way, I'll search this forum for the 2D Tutorial like you said, good idea.
  13. No Profile Picture

Re:

Yes, off course you can develop a game by using the C++ and XNA. and the post above are very use full. any one can follow develop game using these two platforms, depending on the programing skills. Try the above procedure it may help you lot.
    Thank you

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo