1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DirectX library vs SDL?

I know everyone's sick of D3d vs OPENGL topic, so I'm not even gonna pull at that thread.

But SDL looks really interesting to me. Its graphic looks fabulous, and the API looks really easy. It provides Sound, Midi, Keyboard input and stuffs. That's actually great.

The only reason I was thinking of D3D was that Microsoft no longer publishes DirectDraw within their SDK, so programmers had to learn D3D to do 2D programming.

Has anyone used both DirectDraw and SDL? If you have, will you please post some comparisons between those two libraries?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I guess the best way to compare them is to see their objectives. DirectDraw is a now deprecated video rendering API, which was part of DirectX. DirectX itself is a set of multimedia libraries, only useful on Windows.

SDL is a library for multimedia, sort of like DirectX, but it is cross-platform. In reality, it is an abstracting layer, so you can have code that works with Linux and the same for Windows.

So I guess the best way to put it is, DirectDraw is a video API that SDL could use on Windows, but SDL deals with all of multimedia, and isn't restricted to DirectDraw/Direct3D for video.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo