1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Efficient game creation

Hi,

I'm inexperienced with game creation, but I'm inspired to get into the indie game craze and produce something of my own.

My problem right now is that I'm overwhelmed with information, and I'd like to narrow down some choices in terms of programs, script, etc.

I intend to create some top-down and/or isometric games in the adventure/puzzle/platform/action type of genres. I've seen alot of programs devoted to rpg creation when it comes to top-down but I'm not interested in that. Some of my favorite games are: Cave Story, Super Metroid, Castlevania: SOTN, SMBs 3, LOZ OOT, Battletoads, Contra, Wario Land 3, etc. I understand that most of these are side-scrollers, but I'd like to tweak a manageable isometric angle to have some action/platforming.

I'm interested in "game creation" software due to the intuitive aspect and visual interface, but as I understand it there are some limitations. I dislike script, but I don't mind learning some as long as it's worthwhile.

Thanks for any help provided.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

When it comes to game creation software, you are going to have to work within a set sandbox. Most of them do provide a scripting language for much dynamic functionality or pushing the boundaries of what they can do. If that's about all you can tolerate in terms of programming work, you can do well within the sandbox that such software provides you. If you won't touch the scripting language the software provides, you are far more limited in what you can accomplish.

But I get the sense that you overestimate what you can accomplish with game creation software.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I realize there are limitations, but I'm willing to learn what I can to get passed them whenever I need to.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I realize there are limitations, but I'm willing to learn what I can to get passed them whenever I need to.
    At some point, you will run into hard limitations. You may be best off finding the game maker softwares with the largest communities, and bouncing off your game ideas on their forums. Or trying out each software one by one. They should have demos or free versions available. The feedback you get from the community on your ideas should indicate how feasibly it is to implement your ideas in that particular software.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo