1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Essential Learning: How and what do you need to get started creating games?

I've searched the forums and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. Virtually all the replies are along the lines of "need more info."

Basically, I'm looking for a list of mandatory knowledge/essential reading material on how to get started in your quest for creating video games, for whatever platform.

To be specific, PC.

How are indie developers and mega-corporations putting out their titles? What software do they use? What are the steps?

From what I gather, you need to know how to program... Okay, there are a bazillion different languages out there - which one? Will anything work? Can you create the next Call of Duty with PERL? See what I mean?

Second, as I understand it, you need to know how to model - so I'm assuming you'll need to know your way around 3DS Max and/or Maya.

Third, you need to have an "engine"? Create your own or license it from somewhere else? If you create your own, is that going to be the FIRST step of the process? What language?

ALL kinds of questions.

I just purchased myself some books on programming, namely:

"Game Engine Architecture"
    "Game Coding Complete, Fourth Edition"
    "Programming Game AI by Example"
    "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day (7th Edition)"

Am I on the right track? Or would my time be better spent at a university (which begs the question of which classes to take lol)?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I just finished a Bachelor of Games Programming and in my final semester i found Unity3D.
    There are great guides out there and its magical in its simplicity.

I honestly could have skipped my degree and gone straight into developing if I had found it beforehand if I was simply wanting to to make my own games.

Going to get a degree, especially if you can find a computer games university would definitely be worth doing though, if only for the contacts you'll make and critique youl get from your projects.

C++ is what a lot of huge game corporations use however, so if that is your goal, work on more of that and work your way into learning DirectX with it.

If you are a complete beginner at games however I would suggest Game Maker, simply so you can begin to wrap your head around the game making process and logic. Making programs is one thing, making games is another.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo