1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Falling Ball C /w Allegro

This is a game I created in C with Allegro. Contains full animated, translucent, lit and gouraud sprites.

FallingBall v1.23
    Falling Ball 1.24 Source Code **NEW VERSION**
    Falling Ball 1.25 Install Program **NEW VERSION**

Use your cursor to destroy the falling Lava and Steel balls. You can use your Block to destroy the falling Stone balls. Steel balls are a lot tougher then normal balls so you will have to hit it more then once to destroy it. Along the way you can pick up a Bonus. Getting the Bonus with the water and arrow pointing down will lower the water level and getting the heart will give you an extra life. Every 500 points you get will send you to the next level where the balls fall faster and you may even see something new. Holding shift will stop the block from returning to it's resting position. If you see a ghost ball you must hold alt (to go into ghost mode) to destroy it but you can not destroy a normal ball while holding alt. Normal balls can pass through a ghost block and ghost balls can pass through a normal block. Can you keep up with the Falling Ball?

Note to those that play.

Leave your comments here. Likes and dislikes and if you have any problems playing the game. Always looking for a review.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No one try it yet?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Level 6, score 2960. The game is excellent; made me feel like a kid again because of the graphics and gameplay.

Scanned for virii, none found.

GG
  7. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well done.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks. That means a lot to me from both of you. It is my test project. When I learn how to do something new I try to add it in. Currently there is nothing left past 2500 points.

Since
    0 you get lava balls
    500 Stone
    1000 Steel
    1500 Ghost Lava
    2000 Ghost Stone
    2500 Ghost Steel

Setting the difficulty to 5 is how I originally wanted the speed of the game. There were a lot of my friends that told me it was to fast so I added a way to speed it up. When I get my last kinks out I will release the source code again.

And since I can not draw my Main screen and Credits page are very bland :P
  11. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Dude, that's fine. You're a programmer, not an artist. Don't worry about not-so-great graphics in a personal game - if you had some 3d polygon-generated stuff I'd be asking you why you haven't started a company yet. My drawing skills are far beneath yours.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A lot of what you see in that game is royalty items or graphics I got from a artist (with Permission). I have 15 stages of source code for this project. The beginning was very bland(made when I was 12 in qbasic) to what it is now(23). I picked it up about 1 month ago and decided to remake my favorite pass time.

A programmers best friend is an artist. Vice Versa.

Since I am not an artist I have to rely on my game play abilities. Which from my impression is if the game play is great people tend to ignore slightly poor graphics.

if you had some 3d polygon-generated stuff I'd be asking you why you haven't started a company yet.
    rendering and 3d with scrolling backgrounds is what I will be doing next.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

And since I can not draw my Main screen and Credits page are very bland :P
    That's also what I liked about it. It almost feels like I found a classic game on a shareware floppy or something.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I made a "fake" scrolling background for it. But it makes you dizzy after awhile so that idea is out the window.

The scroll was bound to the mouse relation to it's x and y position on the screen
    Code:
    yoffset += (mouse_y / (Floors.y / Speed)) - (640 / (SCREEN_H / Speed)); 
    xoffset += (mouse_x / (SCREEN_W / Speed)) - (320 / (SCREEN_W / Speed));
    it was a good idea and good conversion but bad on the equilibrium
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just released the source code and install program for Falling Ball 1.24. Downloads are on top post.

Changed the intro screens and changed the way the block works, you no longer have to hold shift to stop the block from going back to resting position now just pressing it will stop it and pressing shift again will continue it on it's way.
  21. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

i started playing it, it seems fun, however my issue is the mouse sensitivity of it. I didn't play past the first level because the mouse sensitivity was too low, Maybe you should add in some preferences and things, it seems like a fun game

edit: I feel kind of dumb, I now realize there IS a preference for mouse speed when you start up the game. just it won't so obvious to me for some reason. Good game man
    Last edited by misterdanny; November 5th, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the feed back. I know that many computers are different and that was the first feature I set in the game. Mouse Speed for me needs to be high for most games where others think my speeds are to fast.

I do have a new version Falling Ball v 1.27 which removes the need for the alleg42.dll that was previously provided and shrinks the zip file size. There were changes in the code but I do not think they would be noticeable in game.

You can E-Mail me at Jensen_305@yahoo.com if you want a free registration code. I hope those that try it enjoy it as much as I did programming it.
    Last edited by 0CIRCLE0; November 8th, 2007 at 10:25 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo