1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post What is the best FREE 3D Game Engine for an RPG?

Alright, so I'd like to know what is the best FREE 3D Game Engine for an rpg like grand theft auto, the witcher 2, where you can make a story and stuff. Please reply asap. If possible I'd like the engine to be able to have palletes like in Saints Row where there's a bunch of customization and you can change the colors of almost everything. I know it's a lot to look for, but I want to create something epic =D

I'm currently checking out

3D Rad, UDK(sleeping dogs), Panda 3D(made toontown), Irrlicht(graphics seem pretty good), DXStudio, Ardor3d

I've used source engine of games like half life 2/team fortress 2/left4dead and the creation kit of skyrim before. PRetty much a beginner, so what would be the most efficient. And I no coding if possible like 3drad, but it requires scripting to create a story or no one has even found a way to create one yet.

I'm really aiming towards an rpg like grand theft auto where you can customize the story and stuff.

UDK seems to cost money if I'm making more than 50k US Dollars.

And I get 75% of the stuff.
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Soulslayerzx
    Alright, so I'd like to know what is the best FREE 3D Game Engine for an rpg like grand theft auto, the witcher 2, where you can make a story and stuff. Please reply asap. If possible I'd like the engine to be able to have palletes like in Saints Row where there's a bunch of customization and you can change the colors of almost everything. I know it's a lot to look for, but I want to create something epic =D

I'm currently checking out

3D Rad, UDK(sleeping dogs), Panda 3D(made toontown), Irrlicht(graphics seem pretty good), DXStudio, Ardor3d

I've used source engine of games like half life 2/team fortress 2/left4dead and the creation kit of skyrim before. PRetty much a beginner, so what would be the most efficient. And I no coding if possible like 3drad, but it requires scripting to create a story or no one has even found a way to create one yet.

I'm really aiming towards an rpg like grand theft auto where you can customize the story and stuff.

UDK seems to cost money if I'm making more than 50k US Dollars.

And I get 75% of the stuff.
    anyone? im planning on resorting to udk if i have no choice, but im not sure if i can create a color palette for customization like in sr3.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Soulslayerzx
    anyone? im planning on resorting to udk if i have no choice, but im not sure if i can create a color palette for customization like in sr3.
    So last call, nobody knows?
  7. No Profile Picture

Question...

Have you ever looked into the Unity3D engine? It is both powerful and capable of many things the UDK engine can do but it does not come with the costs. The only down side is that it comes with a little more programming then what you may want to do. Honestly I find once you get past the shock of how it works, it comes across very powerful and easy to use.

Does this help?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

It all depends on the language you want to use.it is absolutely Unity3D, and the basic version is for free.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo