1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Function which returns true with a given probability

I need to create a function which returns true with a given probability. For example:

foo(.1) returns true with probability .1

Could someone provide either a ruby implementation or a generic way to do this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Code:
    public boolean foo(double probability) {
        return true;
    }

Seriously, You've got to specify some more logical requirements than that.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  5. No Profile Picture

I've said plenty. The technical term for what I have described is weighted random selection. In this case, the selection is between two elements: true and false. The probability p, given as an argument, is the weight assigned to true, and therefore the weight assigned to false is 1-p.

I ended up finding a Ruby implementation of weighted random selection that works for any number of elements; using this, I wrote my function.
  7. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Its one of those things you have to read twice. Trust me, he isn't usually so "out-of-it". Also, welcome to Dev Shed =D
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  9. No Profile Picture

Its one of those things you have to read twice.
    Agreed. Also, I probably could have done better job explaining what I was looking for.

11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Use a PRNG.

Say you take a probability out of 100. So for foo(.1), that's really like saying, I have a random number from 1-100. Is it less than 10? A standard PRNG available in most languages gives you a uniform distribution, so the probability is .1 that the number is less than 10. So look up creating random numbers in Ruby.

Generate random number within a range (something like 1-100, 1-1000). Check if random number is less than probability*range. If it is, return true, otherwise return false.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo