Thread: Making a game

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Making a game

I would like to become a indie game developer so i came here hoping I could get a little help.

I know I will have to start with small,simple, games. I am willing to do that and to learn. I am a very quick learner so give me a chance before you go and start giving me negative feed back. You aren't helping by saying "You wont be able to do this" or "You can't just make a game"

None of those are true. People "Just" make games all the time. it can be for fun or for a living. Now for my questions.

1-Is flash the easiest way to start or is there a better code?
    2-What are some example games I could try to make to start off with?
    Thanks for the help in advanced
  3. Contributing User

Are you complete beginner in programming, or you already have some experience?

If the first - you will found that it is important for start to get well acquainted with some programming language and write a hundred or more of "simple-stupid-awkward" games like "guess the number" and "rock-paper-scissors" and "ascii maze" to get practice in basics of many common algorithms useful in programming logic.

If you already at that level - it is time to select some language and API for game development and start kicking with graphics etc. I prefer android for it, but it is not that important - there are also cross-platform libraries and frameworks.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hello, if you are a COMPLETE beginner in code I can give you a few steps to really broaden your knowledge while making very basic java games.

Once you get the idea you can begin taking on more complicated tasks.

First try to complete all the Java problems on codingbat.com
    Teaching you alot about java.
    A language that is relative to most programming languages nowadays (Obviously other languages are different, using different syntax but this is a great place to start)

Once completed and feeling strong in your ability, try to create some of the games such as FizzBuzz & minesweeper using the tutorials.

Learn about objects and classes and see how games come to shape you could even try making a Sudoku board.
  7. No Profile Picture

Can I use C (not C++) in game developement?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo