1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile My first game - Need beta testers and comments

Hello,

I finally finished an actual game with an original concept that I have wanted to do for ages.

It is just a little 2D java applet game that you can play online so nothing to download.

I was hoping some people would be kind enough to try it out and see if there are any bugs that i never found and maybe some comments on what you thought of it. If you have any suggestions on how i can make it more fun then please feel free to post it.

If you like the game, it would be a huge favour if you sign up to that site and click the "I like it button" so I can get more hits :P

Thanks all for your time.

I hope you like it.

Here it is: http://greenfootgallery.org/scenarios/361
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

interesting idea

but had to stop at year 590 because it was too slow so i could wait 5 sec before it updated the field.

about the speed.. slow is not what i would call slow
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Mr.F

Yeah, you need a decent processor to run it.

Mine slows down at the 3000 mark which is why i capped it at 3000 in the first place but i have had a few complaints from older machines.
  7. Lord of the Dance

nice end.

I downloaded Greenfoot program to run it, then it worked with no problems. (well, no problems as long i don't try to nuke them down with 10 missiles per second )

Seems it is the browser that have some kind of a bottleneck when running it.

now i can start exploring the Greenfoot program
  9. Contributing User

Great job on the game. Seems to run slower as time passes, even when keeping population at around the same number. Problem becomes worse when there are lots of animations going on (like explosions), to the point where the applet will eventually crash if I hit the explosion button too many times. I haven't looked at the source yet. I'm getting ready to look at it to get a better idea of what's going on behind the scenes.

-- EDIT --
    After looking at your source, I would guess that the problem is coming from the underlying greenfoot library, since the scenario code is pretty high-level. Possibly the library is not great at handling the adding and removing of thousands of objects (i.e. remaining artifacts that build up over time)
    Last edited by paulscode; November 12th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
  11. Lord of the Dance

Originally Posted by paulscode
    Great job on the game. Seems to run slower as time passes, even when keeping population at around the same number. Problem becomes worse when there are lots of animations going on (like explosions), to the point where the applet will eventually crash if I hit the explosion button too many times. I haven't looked at the source yet. I'm getting ready to look at it to get a better idea of what's going on behind the scenes.
    can suggest you download the greenfoot program

the program runs a lot better compared to the browser and it is easier to see how the the game is structured.
  13. Contributing User

No thanks, I was just here to give suggestions on improving the applet. I prefer not to install random programs. Unless I saw the source for greenfoot, I couldn't give any suggestions for improving performance anyway.
  15. No Profile Picture

Interesting game and idea, here are some suggestions:

1) Make the game a little easier to understand *without* reading the text. I personally went straight to the game first and had a hard time figuring out what the goal of the game was.

2) Instead of making the units move randomly, have them choose a random direction and move for a while in that direction. I think that would be easier on the eyes (:

3) With this type of game, I immediately want to see a graph. Having a graph of the population in the top-left hand corner would be nice.

Keep up the good work!
  17. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Great Game

Hey man, that was a really good game. I beat it, got all the way to 2008... great end title... 6.8 billion and counting use condoms. lol nice job man.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo