Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

check out DirectX 9 tutorials
    The guy will be adding DX10 soon. From what I have read.
    [img]
    http://r2.fodey.com/1922b06d7e4284cce9657003fdf330220.1.gif
    [/img]

3. Contributing User

Lightbulb Creating 3Ds models

I spent a weekend figuring this one out, so I thought it might be useful to someone trying to do the same thing. There are a lot of game libraries out there which use .3ds model files. Unfortunately, if you are using AutoDesk, it saves to .max files, or .gmax if you are using GMax. So how do you get your models into a 3ds file you can use? Well, the first thing you need is a "Quake MD3 exporter" for the program you are using. There are .md3 exporters for either AutoDesk and GMax. I use GMax myself, and you can get the exporter at:
    http://www.davidhsmith.net/Essential_Tools.htm
    You want the one called "Quake-3 MD3 exporter beta v1.0 - gmax". Unzip the file, and stick the contents in the gmax "plugins" folder. To use it, from the File menu in GMax, you chose "Export", then choose file type "Quake MD3".
    Unfortunately, this seems to only copy over the mesh for your model. To add in materials, textures, uv mapping, etc., I am using a program called LithUnwrap, which is free to use, and loads .MD3 files. You can get it from:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/5169/softwa...er-for-Windows
    When you are finished with your model in LithUnwrap, it lets you save as .3ds! I hope you find this information useful!
  5. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

http://www.tar.hu/gamealgorithms/index.html ... Stumble turned this up, just thought it might be of benefit, that's not to say similar content doesn't already exist, but it seems a fairly comprehensive starting point ....
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  7. No Profile Picture

Sketch in 3D!

vimeo.com/1669862?pg=embed&sec=1669862

This is sooo cool. It is a tool to make sketches in 3D called ILoveSketch. Unfortunately I cant find where I can buy one.
  9. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

I've searched and haven't seen this posted here yet.

Database of game engines. Searchable by category.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  11. No Profile Picture

I second that

If you have some C/++/# background and want to learn DirectX9 with C++ from the ground up you can't go wrong at www.DirectXTutorial.com

I can't reccommend this website highly enough - it'll give you all the most important concepts step-by step and properly build on your knowledge all the way. Plus the premium tutorials are every bit as good as the free stuff (I was surprised by that)

Reimers and other may have cooler examples and more advanced tutorials but DirectXTutorial really is the only website I've ever been able to follow from beginning to end like a proper book.

A great supplement to that site with some more advanged and theoretical content is www.toymaker.info

Originally Posted by Kiryn
    check out DirectX 9 tutorials
    The guy will be adding DX10 soon. From what I have read.
  13. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

I'm gonna wake him to see if he is sufficently dis-displeased with your first meaningful (content-drive[l||n]) post ... just wait here for a moment ... please hold
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  15. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

not available at that number ... sorry
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  17. No Profile Picture

Two things to say:
    1) what type of programming language(s) do they use to make advanced graphic online games like LOTRO, WOW, etc.
    2) if you know absolutely nothing about programming and want to make a game or movie or computer artwork, download Scratch. It's free and fun and very easy.
  19. No Profile Picture

Open Game Art: Free, legal art for open source game projects (includes models, sprites, textures, sounds, music).

Free Game Arts: Promotes the use and development of free and “open source” game resources, including 3D models, sound effects, textures, games and development tools.
    WikiWorlds: The goal of this wiki is to create virtual worlds under a free content license.
    Psionic’s 3D Game Resources: Psionic’s “art website with free 3D models, textures, sound fx etc”.
  21. No Profile Picture

There are Game development tools that can be pretty useful
    https://game-development.zeef.com/ellison.leao
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo