Whatsup everybody, I'm new to the forums(mostly because I couldnt find anywhere else i should post this) I've just recently started learning how to code and animate, and just like everyone else, I'm already ahead of myself, and starting to plan a game, so i've been writing down ideas for hours, and here's what i've got so far...
Please note that these ideas will be messy, and may not be presented in the most organized way, I've written a summary to help with that
An action rpg, with strategy/sim elements. Races and classes. Build a variety of structures to create your own settlements, which you can buy, sell, and trade in. Galaxies, are groups of up to 5 planets (inhabited by other players or alone (not completely (mobs)). Starting planet is based on race (elements of planet still randomized) and is a no pvp zone. “Wild” planets have completely random biomes unlike those of the starter “race based” planets and are pvp enabled (not meant to be lived on, just explored)Each race has two classes which fall in lign with standard rpg archetypes but with a twist, the classes each have two sub classes to choose from. Players have skill trees based on classes, as well as racial abilities. Crafting and weapon customization are a possibility, along with enchanting.
• Coded in c++ (Based on what I know so far)
• Ideally work with a partner
• Follow a slightly altered minecraft model, releasing slightly later, once the galaxy/world (undecided) generation is good (stable, not perfected, not all flora/features included) at least one race with all classes is completed (with a basic set of skills) Combat is complex enough to be fun, and there are at least 3 varying mob types.
• Plan to release to a small audience (as a test) within 6 months-1 year.1-2 years are disputable, by 2 years completely open access to the game (labeled as beta) Release by 3 years
Core game elements
• open world Action rpg, with strategy elements, and very basic building(whole buildings/possibly whole settlements)
• Not story driven (possibility of a backstory, but other than that no storyline.)
• Instead of one giant world, it is separated into planets(I imagine this will be the hardest part of the game to code)
• The planets are all part of one big “galaxy” there isn’t just a screen in between travelling between planets, planets could be square or flat(for the purpose of building and less bumpy surface) or possibly round, depending on voxel or not
• Modes are debatable, having a specific pvp arena or something like that would go against the free roaming world idea, but having pvp always enabled could have problems as well.(EDIT: Idea #1 on home planets, pvp is always disabled, but on “wild” planets, killing/greifing is allowed)
• (MAJOR GAME EDIT) world generation idea #2 instead of planets, there is only one larger planet(easier to make a sphere) still separated into some type of zones (I would still like to do the racial specific staring area)
• Personal space travel would be unlocked by some type of building, letting you zoom out from your own planet and click on other ones to launch.
• The “points” you get to level up your character are directly connected to the “research points” you use to get new buildings and recipes to prevent over complication.
• Building is simplified to a degree where it does not distract from the main idea of the game
• Your home is a special, more customizable building, where items are stored, and you can rest.
• Other buildings are used to create services(general store,potion shop, armory etc)
• Buildings are race specific (but do not differ very much at all from eachother, (one or two special items) differences are mostly cosmetic)
• (possible) stores can be enhanced(not sure how)
• 2-4 races, each with two core classes
• each core class has two specialties(generic rpg archetypes, with small twists)
• (not sure if this belongs here exactly) Each race has a specific starting planet, with the main mobs few special ones
• If playng with friends, they can choose to generate a new starting planet of their own race, or continue on yours/share one from the beginning(more co-op oriented)
• Possibly voxel graphics
• stubby big headed character models(as to not animate limbs and such)
• If not voxel, than stylized “cartoon” graphics.
• Very smooth flowing animation for the movement of characters