Thread: New Game Idea

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New Game Idea

I have been tossing around a game idea for a while now and would like to share. The purpose behind this is to see if I can gather enough people who are interested and would like to have fun working on making a game. I know that making an MMO is not only a daunting task but near impossible without a professional team and that is why I'm going to put the idea in full out there for review. I would like to see an MMO made by the community for the community. If you have been frustrated by decisions other companies have made this is where your input will be read and discussed. Ok on to the game...

This will be based in the near future. Each server will be a planet with different attributes and races. Magic, Tech, Nature, and Religion are example of the world architect. These planets are meant to interact only after players develop the ability to travel in space through crafting. The only difference between characters will be the visual effects (this can change if development and community choose). The players will be able to choose from four starting classes which include Fighter, Politician, Builder, and Civil Worker. I will separate these out for you later. Players are able to cross class and each class will have its own experience as well as level system. In game money (I hate Pay to win systems) is used to buy levels while experience comes from using the class tree. Experience makes the jobs easier or the abilities more potent.

Fighter - The defense or offence of the city. Must use a helmet to bring players into first person view. is based on skill more than tab button switching and fireballs flying through walls.

Politician - Runs the city, business, shop, or guild. Can choose to build in a fashion similar to an RTS or simcity. In regards to the guild, the politician is able to build dungeons for other players to run through and can change the look and layout of guild housing and rules.

Civil Worker - Healers and Designers mostly. In third person view. Designers create the blueprints for the builders. They are the only ones who are able to research new designs which can then be sold to the builders if they choose too. The benefit of this in guild is being the only guild with a newly discovered weapon type.

Builders - The crafters. They are the ones who will make the majority of the tools in the game. All items in game can be crafted and all base items can be purchased from vendors. As this is intended to be a player run economy the builders will provide all items for high level characters.

I know this may sound hard for a solo player and to be honest at higher levels it will be. As for the crafting system, the crafting surface will be a 5X5 grid which items will be placed in the shape of the object intended to be created. During the creation process the player will need to add or remove items such as heat, water, or carbon. To produce quality items the player will need to do this at specific times during the creation process (the time available increases as experience increases).

Players can suggest new items to the admin to have them implemented into the game as long as the items are fair and balanced. Items created in this way will remain sole property of the developer of the item for a month.

The housing system would be much like an apartment complex. Each floor will have ten rooms in the hallway and has a common area to meet with your neighbors. You can also visit other peoples room to view their setup. To ease the development process I would like to try a random world and level generator that runs on the clients PC to free up computing power for the server. These generated chunks are uploaded to the server for public use after generation.

There is a lot more detail but that is the best synopses I can provide at this time. I know and understand that this is an insane undertaking and may not get off the ground but I feel it is necessary for me to try and could be a lot of fun. P.S. this could also be a good resume filler for those looking for that...

Thank you for your time and I am sorry for the length of this post. If you have any question about the game or would like to help just let me know.
  3. No Profile Picture

favorite PlayStation game

My favorite PlayStation game
    Silent Hill
    Crash Team Racing
    Tomb Raider
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up yes yes

Hey TheDood, have you gotten any response to this? It sounds cool.

I like the idea of essentially having multiple games to play, and cross-class compatibility, so people aren't stuck in one.

I don't think combat has to be first person to allow for skillful, elegant play. Have you ever played Dragon Nest? Boring eventually, but the engine I think is at least a good idea.

I'm not a programmer. I'm a thinker, planner, writer, new to the forum, but I think you've got a good start.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo