Thread: Game Ideas

1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Game Ideas

Ok I am starting a game and am developing it as of today.
    One problem:

I have no idea what kind of game to make. Whenever I try to think of a game they all sound lame and already created :/

Any ideas?
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

guess a new MMORPG WoW-breaking game is too hard

I have same problem because, as you said, it sounds boring making something that already exists, in dozens of different version.

My first (and only) game was yatzy created as an java applet. After i got more knowledge/experience with java and programming in general, looking back to that project I learned how much there actually is to make just a simple game.

my point is, don't think too much about what have been created but more what you want to learn/create.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How about a game where you are a programmer desperately searching for that perfect game to make. You go to all reaches of the world battling anti-gaming groups and learning the secrets to the perfect game. As you learn more about the perfect game you progress to battling 3rd world governments that want to steal your idea to make them money like they did to the Russian dude that invented tetris.

At the end you must battle a rival programmer who has been learning and building a similar game as you...he must be destroyed! :-)

Comments on this post

• GH4 agrees : Nice
    • benno32 agrees : Ha Ha Ha
  7. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

If this is your first time creating a game, normally it's suggested to make one that's HAS been made thousands of times, it's for the experience and not because it's not there.

If you want something new, think of what YOU enjoy doing, do you enjoy puzzles? FPS, MMORPG etc... whatever you like try one of those, even a really dumbed down version as the idea isn't to create a masterpiece but to create something, you can change it along the way and maybe it will turn into something great, in either case just focus on something you like.

Other ideas, do you remember any old DOS games that haven't been ported to windows? For me there was one that I knew of that I started to recreate, I wasn't going to do it exactly the same but kinda more as a template to get me going.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by Viper_SB
    If this is your first time creating a game, normally it's suggested to make one that's HAS been made thousands of times, it's for the experience and not because it's not there.

If you want something new, think of what YOU enjoy doing, do you enjoy puzzles? FPS, MMORPG etc... whatever you like try one of those, even a really dumbed down version as the idea isn't to create a masterpiece but to create something, you can change it along the way and maybe it will turn into something great, in either case just focus on something you like.
    I have made simple programs but I'm looking for a real game to make. I am probably going to make an RPG game. Something like the kind that is on this site but with an actual quest ya know?

How about a game where you are a programmer desperately searching for that perfect game to make. You go to all reaches of the world battling anti-gaming groups and learning the secrets to the perfect game. As you learn more about the perfect game you progress to battling 3rd world governments that want to steal your idea to make them money like they did to the Russian dude that invented tetris.

At the end you must battle a rival programmer who has been learning and building a similar game as you...he must be destroyed! :-)
    Perfect
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Let's keep this thread open so that those who come up with a really good idea can post here and those looking for a game idea can just pop in this thread and take an idea they like?

Everyone ok with that?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by GH4
    Let's keep this thread open so that those who come up with a really good idea can post here and those looking for a game idea can just pop in this thread and take an idea they like?

Everyone ok with that?
    If someone takes the idea I posted earlier I want the rival programmer to look like Kevin Spacey. And I want the 3rd world government to be Djibouti, Africa!
  15. Registered User

An mmo version of Overlord.
    ==============

Poison ball (dunno what it is called in other countries) ya know! the real life game where people stand at either end of a basket ball court and try to hit people in the middle with balls. If you get hit, you're out, if you can catch a ball, you can bring somone off the sidelines.
    ===============

Online Monopoly
    ============

Re-release i76 (the best game ever made)
    oh oh oh.... a "WoW" version of i76!!!!!! YEEEEEESSSSSS.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Start Small

It is good advice to make something your interested in. If you like RPG's do something like final fantasy (7)?
    Dont go all out trying to make the graphics awesome, It all comes down to game play.. Get your logic down, and the storyline good, an then make it visually stunning.
    The first game i made was a FF type game, i learned how to create tile based maps, and laying.

If you want a few ideas:
    Warcraft II type: maybe with alieans (starcraft?) or use animals!
    Side scrolling: something simple like mariobrothers type: if you could make it fast paced yet simple, i think people would like it.

Or maybe something more like wolfenstein: Im still waiting for a wolfenstein (original) with openGL, someone to redo the graphics so its all 3D, but keep the sweet *** sound effects~!

-Just some ideas ...
  19. No Profile Picture

helpful?

when i first did any programming it was in Flash 8. very usful interfaces, and i got a FLV version of Madness Interactive to make my own mod. i learned all of what i know from experimenting with that and a TI-83 algebra calculator doing BASIC. dont know if this is at all usful, but its a good way to experiment with a template (Madness interactive) and then make it into your own. enjoy whatever you do, or its not worth doing.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo