1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I want to make a game.. lol. But a realistic one.. I hope..

I want to make a game...

A thing I suppose a lot of game enthusiasts want to do!

But I do realise that making a game is hard, time comsuming and so on.

Being a junior developer (in a managed service based industry) I do have a reasonable knowledge of what goes into programming with experience in vc/c#/asp/asp.net and even delphi from A-Levels...

I just need some starting pointers from you guys.

I want to make a little game, 2D top-down perspective, shooter. Something that occassionally pops up in flash games and from smaller companies but still quite simplistic.

My first idea, and build, will be a simple square environment where you have your man and a gun. Your guy twists and points in the direction of your mouse, and you move with WASD. Click to shoot. Now I want enemies (probably stick to classic zombies.. lol) to slowly come in (at first slowly, but over time, will build up) all around you and you have to keep killing untill you die whilst keeping score.

But where to start is my question? After getting quite into my linux recently I have been deciding on whether or not to delve into Python and learn to use that language? Would that be good for this? If so I could use the section in this forum for help on starting..

Is this a simple enough game to start with? And if I do make this you never know, I may even work into it and set up a server with a download site and score tracker, ha! Improving it to add new mobs etc.

Basically, to me it seems like a good starting point. A confined square in which there is simple movement involving mapping buttons and mouse detection, a gun (and maybe a melee weapon), lots of collision detection, randomly generated mobs coming out of randomly generated positions, some scripting of the mobs trying to find you (well walk towards you! and avioding bugs), a score that racks up for each one you kill and so on? Is this a bit far fetched or quite possible? It seems to me about as easy as the likes of tetris, just less examples to help!

It also seems like a game that could easily be moddified and improved over time. Guns and drops, limiting ammo so new guns are used, a wave system, proper maps with obsticals and even goals... and so on... even a possibility of co-op/dueling etc. This is to think of once the base game has been made though!

Any ideas on how to start this? I've been thinking about it for quite some time, but actually done little reseach into making it. Although I've read lots of "starting your own game" sort of advice threads and guides etc all clearly stating stuff like "dont think you can make an MMORPG" or even an rpg / fps and the likes. They all say stick simple or start by making tetris or mario. And If your new to programming make noughts and crosses/tic-tac-toe and so on.

Granted, I'm a GUI programmer and quite familiar with the likes of vs2008 and not entirerly sure how far I need to go in order to make a game, but I'm assuming, say in python, that I may need to do it all by code rather than use IDE or the likes.

Any advice lads?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Your idea of a simple stick man in a square box shooting at randomly spawned stick enemies is doable and extendable. It's better to make a very polished small game then a rough larger game, so I think you are being more realistic.

Granted, I'm a GUI programmer and quite familiar with the likes of vs2008 and not entirerly sure how far I need to go in order to make a game,
    You might be very familiar with the GUI editor in VS but how comfortable are you with code? You can't drag and drop your way through a game, no matter what language or IDE.

If you are going to use C#, then your starting point should be XNA. Brush up on your C#, and then start looking into XNA. They have good starter tutorials and a strong community for budding game developers. You'll likely find this the best option for you.

You can also make a game in Python, but you'll have to get up to speed with programming Python first. And that means writing a number of small non-game programs, as you might expect from your past learning experience. It's always valuable to learn multiple languages...
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks. I've heard of XNA, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. I'm good with vb.net and C# is similar. I can always understand where its going and have no problem converting C# examples/code to vb, so i'm sure I can go the other way. I use VB at work, but I learnt C# at college.

Even if I start there in C#/XNA, I may still go and remake it in Python on the side as I think it will be valuable learning it on the side. Also I would like to make little applications for linux as well so it would be useful. Moreso what I was asking was if Python is a suitable language to attempt this in.

I was going to create little top down images that fit inside an oval or even rectangle to start with to deal with collision detection. So you'll see a head, shoulders and a gun. May even move into simple "forward/backward" and "left/right" feet movement as well, so they aren't just moving pics but something that looks more like its walking... not exacly perfect, but gives a slight impression!

So this is a doable first idea?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Moreso what I was asking was if Python is a suitable language to attempt this in.
    Yes (and I indicated such in your other thread.)

So this is a doable first idea?
    Yes. Build up your program in small steps and you'll be fine.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. No Profile Picture

Merci! Now just time to do some XNA reseach whilst at work...

hehe...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo