1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can you post some more detailed guides on the intrawebs?

Maybe from people who actually had experience with MMOs?
  3. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jorenu
    I made a litte MMORPG that I tested local with my brother
    LOL! Sorry, but I had to laugh at this comment. I'm not sure that two players counts as "Massively Multi-player"..
  5. No Profile Picture

Multiplayer isnt that hard to implement, it just depends on the type of game. If all the players need to be on the same map at the same time, then yeah, it can be a bit much. But if the game world can be partitioned, then you wont really have bandwidth issues. Its not that complex. If you get key inputs and set a javascript timer tied to some AJAX functions you could build a multiplayer game.
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by MrGimp
    If you get key inputs and set a javascript timer tied to some AJAX functions you could build a multiplayer game.
    What you are saying is that creating a MMORPG is just as easy as creating a chat application?

Well, that means If I get a lot of bricks and cement mortar I could build my own house.
  9. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

if the game world can be partitioned, then you wont really have bandwidth issues. Its not that complex.
    Um ... you mean if it can be partitioned and served from different servers and you have a good outbound pipe you won't really have as much bandwidth issues than if you did not have all this ... it might not be rocket science but it's a lot more complex than dividing a hypothetical map into smaller maps.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by curbs22
    I now know why I hate forums. As an owner of a company, in today's economy, we need quesitons answered with a yes or a no. Simple.
    Programmers/developers want to use forums to argue thats fine. Instead of arguing, why not just try to make it work.
    Maps, yes, I need large maps made on different servers with databases attached. I need 3d items made..cars..houses...boats etc. You name it, I need it.
    I need a large multiplayer map made yesterday. I have a 10 yr project and tons of work.
    So here's the answer to my own question. Why do I have programmers working for me that are overseas?
    Because of to many forums just like this one...to many bitchin. If you want to continue to work for someone else...god bless you. If you want to be Derek Jeter and make 25 Million a year..good luck..if you want a killer job with new ideas and a place your appreciated..I left my number up above..call me.
    Thanks
    Curbs
    You didn't actually ask a question, although you certainly have done well to contribute the very content you disdain. I'll have Derek Jeter call you when I see him.
    Last edited by medialint; November 30th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. No Profile Picture

Smile I know a good one.

Originally Posted by VicToMeyeZR
    you can start with a good engine though right?
    Try Unity 3D, its epic and free. If you find that you cant understand it there are tutorials on unity3d.com or you can watch the youtube series by the tornado twins. Another good free one is Game Maker. You can choose Lite which is free, or Pro which costs a few bucks and adds a better sprite/object editing package as well as better parameters for RTS and Top-Down RPGs.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by vivianny
    Basically, you cannot make a full-fledged MMORPG on your own. Based on my 5year' experience in gaming industry, I think you should form a team to make a game.

For example, a artist can help make artworks, a programmer can code what the producer design...etc...
    I have tried setting up a team, and they all seemed interested at first, but after a few months they all gradually slipped away into their own stuff, and I was left at square one with virtually nothing. Any helpful hints or tips for setting up a good team, people who will stick it out to the end instead of blowing me off all the time for their own projects?
  17. No Profile Picture

I really liked this article. I wish it had more in-depth information though.
    I think game development can be both fun and nightmare depending on the person and his abilities. I'm 20 now and been programming in C++ and Java for a year or so. I've been thinking to start my adventure on the road to game development but I will definitely need a team of programmers/designers which I currently don't have.

IMO, today's top games are too complicated and you shouldn't even think about competing with them unless you already have a solid team of GREAT developers and designers AND a pocket full of money.
    Sure these companies make ****loads of money and you want to be there too; but remember they have teams of +200 people and years of experience in this field.

Let's consider one of my favorites, La noire. They use technologies and things you don't even know about. You might like to check out the link below:

youtube/watch?v=u8bL0z-vMHw

So to conclude, I believe game development can be one of the best field to work in as a programmer. you will meet and team up with lots of different people with different skills. BUT it needs a higher amount of skill and mindset than the average programmer. Also remember that it will be a long road to success, it will be hard, you'll have lots of failures and you'll have to learn A LOT OF STUFF!

Good luck
  19. No Profile Picture

Wanted to add a little something.. 2cents

Everything depends on why you are making a game. Are you trying to break into the industry, and creating a game to be a piece of your entry-level portfolio, or are you a diverse programmer simply looking to create interactive program to expand your skills? Or thinking you just want to share somethign with friends.. If you're trying to get a career out of it:

If you're looking for a simple programming example for your portfolio, with quality result, try a flash/html5 game. Mobile device platform uses these regularly, they have a bit of momentum right now in the market. What's more, small and local businesses have demand for people, you could probably find a job local doing these.

As for the 'game' game industry, referring to EA, Bioware, Sony, etc... Unreal Dev Kit is the common tool used in game design curriculums in higher education.. Most game developers have their own design packages, so you can't always trust you'll be using the same programs, but UDK is a good start because you'll learn all the different components in a game package, and understand the production pipeline..

My other advise is to NOT be a generalist. Find a particular element of development that you think goes well with your skill set and focus on that for a reel (ie modeler, creature artist, level designer, lighter, surfacer, AI programmer, fx animator, motion capture animator, UI programmer, etc).

These companies get thousands of applications.. If they are wanting to hire a new surfacer.. only applicants with surfacer labeled in their demo are going to given a look. Same for animator, UI designer etc. With enough time invested, build multiple reels, one for each specialty you feel comfortable with as a profession.

..I really don't suggest making a full game. Instead focus on minor projects that put emphasis on a specific mechanic relatable to the job you are applying for.

For example, as a surface/fx artist, make a short reel that has FPS with a variety of weapons being shot, and put project emphasis on the muzzle flare. If you're applying for a surfacing/fx position, and your reel emphasizes that element of production, that's your best bet.

For more IT side work, like someone mentioned an MMO.. Get the instant messenger type system done and call it quits. So what if there's no level, you're not applying to be a level designer, so what if there's no animation or characters, you're not applying to be an animator or character designer.

Creating a full game though for the sake of a portfolio for a job.. No. They have thousands of applicants, a recruiter isn't going to sit down and play an amateur videogame.

This is all in the assumption that you'd want to make a game to get into the industry... If you're trying to make an independent game for some other reason.. I suppose you can disregard this. ..Wanted to share.
  21. No Profile Picture

just types your query in Google And you will get easily answer from that.
  23. No Profile Picture

It may be possible to make a small game and have it expand over the years but this is unlikely.
  25. No Profile Picture

Take a look at our MMO demo, It's all open source

We've developed our game server framework: pomelo.
    And also a full MMO demo: lordofpomelo
    Lordofpomelo an open source game developed within 2 months, the client side is html5, the server is written in node.js with our pomelo framework.

You can search lordofpomelo or pomelo in github, thanks for feedback
  27. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by xieccy
    We've developed our game server framework: pomelo.
    And also a full MMO demo: lordofpomelo
    Lordofpomelo an open source game developed within 2 months, the client side is html5, the server is written in node.js with our pomelo framework.

You can search lordofpomelo or pomelo in github, thanks for feedback
    I have played your demo for a while, it's really great. And I think it's a big innovation to use Node.js in game server. Wish
  29. No Profile Picture

Help with my code

// first off I dont know if I'm supposed to post this here or somewhere else. Anyways, im trying to get this code to work but have encountered bugs. It is supposed to spawn a random equation which you can write the answer to.

import flash.events.MouseEvent;

stop();

var answer:Number;
    var answerValue1:Number;
    var wrong:Number;
    var correct:Number;
    var aRandomNumber:Number;
    var aRandomNumber2:Number;
    var plusOrMinus:Number;

btnPlay.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP, OnClickUp);
    btnPlay.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, OnHoverOver);
    btnPlayPressed.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT, OnHoverOut);
    btnPlayPressed.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP, OnClickUp);

// these two functions will control the colour of the button
    function OnHoverOver(event:MouseEvent):void
    {
    btnPlay.visible = false;
    btnPlayPressed.visible = true;
    }

function OnHoverOut(event:MouseEvent):void
    {
    btnPlay.visible = true;
    btnPlayPressed.visible = false;
    }

function OnClickUp(event:MouseEvent):void
    {

do
    {
    // generate question and plus and minus
    aRandomNumber = Math.random()*((1+100-1)+1)*100/100;
    aRandomNumber2 = Math.random()*((1+100-1)+1)*100/100;
    plusOrMinus = Math.random()*((1+4-1)+1)*100/100;
    trace (aRandomNumber);
    trace (aRandomNumber2);
    trace (plusOrMinus);

}while((((aRandomNumber == aRandomNumber2)||(aRandomNumber<0)||(aRandomNumber2<0)||(plusOrMinus<0))))

if(plusOrMinus == 1)
    {
    answerValue1 = aRandomNumber + aRandomNumber2;
    txtQuestion1.text = (" + ");
    }

if(plusOrMinus == 2)
    {
    answerValue1 = aRandomNumber - aRandomNumber2;
    txtQuestion1.text = (" - " );
    }

if(plusOrMinus == 3)
    {
    answerValue1 = aRandomNumber * aRandomNumber2;
    txtQuestion1.text = (" * ");
    }

if(plusOrMinus == 4 && aRandomNumber>=aRandomNumber2 || plusOrMinus == 4 && aRandomNumber==aRandomNumber2)
    {
    answerValue1 = aRandomNumber / aRandomNumber2;
    txtQuestion1.text = (" / ");
    }

if(plusOrMinus == 4 && aRandomNumber<=aRandomNumber2)
    {
    answerValue1 = aRandomNumber2 / aRandomNumber;
    txtQuestion1.text = (" / ");
    aRandomNumber = Number(txtNumber.text);
    aRandomNumber2 = Number(txtNumber2.text);
    trace(aRandomNumber);
    }

if (answerValue1==answer)
    {
    txtCorrect.text = String(correct);
    txtCorrect.text = String(correct+1);
    }

if (answerValue1>=answer||answerValue1<=answer)
    {
    txtWrong.text = String(wrong);
    txtWrong.text = String(wrong+1);
    }
    }

trace (answerValue1);

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo