1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Game for mobile - Gud Idea?

Hello All,
    While planning a game for iOS and Android, came across an idea of creating a game where levels can be updated individually. If i have to include a level or delete a level without affecting other levels of the game or other parts of the game, Is it possible?

Reason: a person playing level 20 will never play level 1 nor 2.

Would removing few components of the game is a good idea?

Thanks in advance
  3. No Profile Picture

You would have to be really careful when doing this to make sure you dont completely break everything else.

One 'safe and secure' way I can see this working is maybe having each level downloaded or at least activated by accessing the internet. That way, during a load, it could check which levels are no longer 'accessible' and simply either not download them, or get rid of them if it has it and isnt using it.

Then, as long as you make sure no levels are dependant on others, everything else should be fine.

Comments on this post

• daranivasana agrees : Hope the conversation can go on healthy..!
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you Squigglyo!

The question arises in a scenario where few objects will be reused in other levels. So just thinking how to achieve that.
  7. No Profile Picture

Not a solution, just a rebuttal to the reason: What if the player wants to demo the game at a lower level for someone else?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by winteriscoming
    Not a solution, just a rebuttal to the reason: What if the player wants to demo the game at a lower level for someone else?
    Hello winteriscoming,
    The player can install only the first level instead of the complete game.

For ex,
    I am using the mobile and I am playing 30th level. I will not be requiring first few levels. So in that case, we are allowing users to delete the first few unwanted levels for me. Now comes in a friend of mine who wants to give hands on the game. He/She can play the game from start after installing the first level or whichever level is required.

I am trying to see if this methodology is possible. If yes, like there are few constraints like resources shared within levels and other things. How to equate all the needs.

Thnx!
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by daranivasana
    Hello winteriscoming,
    The player can install only the first level instead of the complete game.

For ex,
    I am using the mobile and I am playing 30th level. I will not be requiring first few levels. So in that case, we are allowing users to delete the first few unwanted levels for me. Now comes in a friend of mine who wants to give hands on the game. He/She can play the game from start after installing the first level or whichever level is required.

I am trying to see if this methodology is possible. If yes, like there are few constraints like resources shared within levels and other things. How to equate all the needs.

Thnx!
    Aye. Kinda like games with 'episodic' content, only now its panned in further with levels.
  13. No Profile Picture

Do you think this kind of game development is possible with Android and iOS? We are planning to develop the game with cross platform codes like html, css3 and javascript.

Secondly, will this kind of game have any huge change in gamer's mind for a flexible environment where they can only download what they want?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

yes it is possible in ios and android
  17. No Profile Picture

This sounds like a pretty cool idea..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo