1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

About A.I. used in game programming

Dear all,

I want to ask about some A.I. skill in game programming.
    I now designing a BOTs, which is a A.I. player, it will be trained and playing specific games. Such as Counter Strike or Warcraft.
    But before I design the algorithm, actually I choose genetic algorithm as my A.I. algorithm ( which I am familiar in), I want to ask,

1. What should I declared as my chromosome?
    2. What should I declared the fitness function?

Thank You

Actually I am familiar in G.A. but not so familiar in the game programming or developing.......

Thanks for your attention~
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by steve18503
    What should I declared as my chromosome?
    Whatever gets modified by your GA. Maybe it's just 1s and 0s. Whole instructions. That's your choice.
    What should I declared the fitness function?
    Something that evaluates the fitness of a chromosome.
    Actually I am familiar in G.A. but not so familiar in the game programming or developing.......
    Yet your questions are about GA and not game programming. Are you really referring to genetic algorithms and not neural networks? They might both operate on a chromosome, but the essence is vastly different.
  5. Periodically energetic Perler

Hi,

welcome to Devshed.

FYI, the sticky at the top of this particular forum has a link to AI Resources & Books, which you might find interesting.

I think most good bots for CS have used neural nets as opposed to GA's.

Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  7. No Profile Picture

I know Neutral Network is better in Game A.I. Design...
    I read some books, one of them called "Game Programming Gems". It also introduce using neutral network instead of Genetic Algorithm.
    But I haven't study anything about neutral network before.
    So I choose G.A. as a BOT A.I. design....

Actually it is hard to imagine how to declare the chromosome in the context of the game. Which part of the BOTs need to evolution?
    For Example, The moving paths of the BOTs will evolue due to training of algorithm, how can I declare a fitness function such that I can test it is more and more fitness to the game??
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by steve18503
    I know Neutral Network is better in Game A.I. Design...
    Better than what? A GA?

Actually it is hard to imagine how to declare the chromosome in the context of the game. Which part of the BOTs need to evolution?
    Whatever the bot can do. So what can it do? It can move. It can shoot. It can pick up objects. It's whatever the game allows it to do.

The moving paths of the BOTs will evolue due to training of algorithm, how can I declare a fitness function such that I can test it is more and more fitness to the game??
    Start simple. If your fitness function evaluates a million things, progress will be slow or nil. Increase complexity cautiously.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks a lot
    I got a little idea for my A.I. design...
    But is it fast enough for the G.A seperate run for different parameter of the game?
    Such as moving path, shooting and picking up object?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo