1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Games on data structures and algorithm concepts

Hi guys,
    I was given a task of developing a game which illustrates the concepts of data structures and algorithm to the year 1 CS students of my university. Anyone has any suggestions on this one (for eg. any similar games or reference materials which I can take a look at)? Thanks in advance.
  3. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

IMO sorting algorithms would be a great place to start. Different methods of which you can manipulate (x, y) coordinates, a heat seeking missile perhaps would be interesting? Data structures are fun. You could give a basic game design plan (main while loop, the main update method, ect) and how it all ties together. How you might calculate damage for a given weapon, or how to check if a line is full in a tetris-style game would be cool. Games are meant to be fun, so keep it interesting and somewhat simple. Good Luck =D
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by tagmanadvance
    IMO sorting algorithms would be a great place to start. Different methods of which you can manipulate (x, y) coordinates, a heat seeking missile perhaps would be interesting? Data structures are fun. You could give a basic game design plan (main while loop, the main update method, ect) and how it all ties together. How you might calculate damage for a given weapon, or how to check if a line is full in a tetris-style game would be cool. Games are meant to be fun, so keep it interesting and somewhat simple. Good Luck =D
    Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo