1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Getting into the games industry

Ive been very interested in programming lately and game dev specifically for pc/console gaming, i know about the concepts and had a dabble with a few languages but never really tried too much.

It just seems that everyone in the games industry started in their early teens, im in college now (UK) and am thinking towards going on to do a computer science degree but is it too late for me to actually be able to make it into the industry, i mean i have nothing right now along the lines of a portfolio so is there hope?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Nope, its not too late. Its never really too late as long as you work hard and want to do it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It sounds like it's the perfect time for you to get started.

Use your time in school to figure out what game development areas you want to specialize in. There's more then just being a console programmer - you can focus on graphics, AI, etc.

You'll probably need a CS degree, but look around your area to see whose hiring and what general education level they expect.

The important thing is to find something that interests you and stick with it. Passion goes a long way - don't let things like age or the success of others put you off to what you could accomplish for yourself.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo