1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Graphic Question

What program is used to make 2d/3d sprites. Like in Ragnarok, or Maple Story? The game im working on or plan to work on is a 2d game with similar or identical graphic so i would like to know which program is good, Free and can Generate thoughs graphics.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You can make sprites in paint for all it matters, it all depends on your skill on making them. Some good programs for them however are GIMP, GraphicsGale or Photoshop. Good luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

Oh ok i have heard of GIMP and im on the page rite now, im currently reading Some C++ Faqs. Would you recommend to try learning both GIMP and C++ at the same time or do one first then the other. im not easily confused just want to kno if they are anything similar in any of these. ......... Im sry if any of you think it Stupid what i just said im practially sleep typing and its hard to think straight at all.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There's no relationship between GIMP and C++. GIMP is an image manipulation program. C++ is a programming language.

Are you trying to make a game? Rather than just jumping head first into an MMO or what not, be realistic and work your way up. It's like saying, I want to be an architect, so I'll start with a skyscraper first.

If you don't have programming experience, pick a programming language and start with basic programs. Basic, basic programs.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. No Profile Picture

a Basic Programming ? any Suggestions ... notepad, textpad .....?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When I say basic programs, I mean programs that a) get you to learn the programming language of choice, and b) get you to learn programming concepts.

Example of screwing up A:
    People in the C++ forum want to make GUIs, graphics, etc. Yet they have no clue how to program in C++ itself. Whether you pick C++, Ruby, Java, C#, whatever. You need to spend time learning the language before you start going anything fancy with it.

Example of screwing up B:
    You jump into programming, and try to program a complex game. But because you never have programmed before, when we say, you could use a loop here, create a linked list there, reserve space for a buffer for each node in the graph, etc., you draw a blank. Bad move. No programming experience? You have to learn basic computer science concepts.

Seriously mate, it's nice that you want to get into programming to make an MMORPG, but if you're serious, you need to start by picking a programming language and learn how to program. You aren't even at the level of a basic programmer, and even intermediate programmers would be hard pressed to make a decent MMO.

Google, and search these forums for picking a programming language.

Comments on this post

• Viper_SB agrees
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  13. No Profile Picture

Oh thats what you meant, rite now im studying C++ in a language. Is this good, easy hard ? whats a good Launguage to learn... i dont care much about the Difficulty. Just C programming is great enough. Interest me the most but hey what do i know rite ? .

Ok i Tried GIMP and its annoying me i do every step the Tutorial Says and its not never comes out the way it shows. anyone Know a good tutorial for GIMP?

Can GIMP make 3d models and Animate them? is it a good source to make video games from, like Character Creation, Map Designing and otherwise good Detailing.

Im Getting the hand of it, i followed the tutorials and i made this ...

15. No Profile Picture

bump
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you're still around...

C++ is powerful, but it is also hard. It's a complex language. If you're scouring about for a good language to pick, google and search on these forums for how to pick a programming language. I've posted numerous times, and other's have written countless times about the choices needed in working with a programming language. Feel free to ask about various points raised in those posts.

Can GIMP make 3d models and Animate them?
    No, 3D modeling is done with specific programs built for that purpose. GIMP, like Photoshop and others, are for 2D bitmap images only. There are free 3D modeling programs about, and Googling will get you a list of them. Personally, I work with Wings3D and Blender.

is it a good source to make video games from, like Character Creation, Map Designing and otherwise good Detailing.
    You'll need a good 2D image editor. GIMP is just one of the possible choices. Note that you can't make do with just one program. You will need multiple programs. Example. 3D models mean actual modeling, but then you need to create textures for them. That's 2D work.

If you need to 3D work, you need a 3D modeler. You need the right tool for the right job.

19. No Profile Picture

Should probably just go ahead and learn C++ as it is the langauge of choice for graphics programming.

Comments on this post

• ryon420 disagrees : No it isn't, there is Java, ASM, C#, C, Python, PHP, Perl, and many others.
  21. No Profile Picture

hey , whats a sprite? i keep hearing that thing.im planning to learn game programming too right now im learning c++ i i have a little experience with vbasic i think i can handle programming but
    what scares me off is graphics not sure i can do that
    any suggestions how to learn to make game graphics ?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

> hey , whats a sprite?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics) (A 2D image basically).

> any suggestions how to learn to make game graphics ?

Yes. Make sure you know your choice of programming language well. Graphics programming is simply an application of your programming knowledge. If you find yourself struggling with core computer science concepts, or not able to understand how a syntactical construct works, it's a sign your knowledge is lacking.

25. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I think many, many games use DDS graphic files. You might want to look into that if you want to do some stuff.

Advice from before sticks, though. If you don't know what a sprite is, and more importantly, don't google it to find out, you shouldn't be using it. Might want to learn good old console app programming, and soak up the terminology and skills, before jumping into using any sorts of graphics.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  27. No Profile Picture

We'll I been down and out for a while away from the game programing cause i got addicted to lineage II *curses* i plan to go into computer sciences for college, and later get some extra experiences in scripting in C, and my partner in crime practices Java. Any of you know anything on that ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo