1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Help adding grahics

hey guys, i was just wondering if someone could tell me how to add grahpics i will be adding to a game, or you could tell me which C++ tutorials a about game design or just adding grahics. And i use Bloodshed compilers, so could you still make 2d side scrollers with that or is that just for other things.

and what type of graphics designer do you reccomend? i could use one with sound making things and other useful things.
    thnks!
  3. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Try Googling "c++ sprite engine". Good Luck =D
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by tagmanadvance
    Try Googling "c++ sprite engine". Good Luck =D
    thanks, would i be better off using the engine or just using a compiler? And when you use the negine do you still use the compiler?

and on those engines could i import sprites from for example this site
  7. C# Addict.

An engine is just a or a set of libraries to assist in a certain task. They still need to be compiled. Like my physics engine does all movement calculations as well as collision detection and response to make objects appear to act like they would in real life.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift

My 2D Physics Engine.
    My Remake of UQM.
    Both are written in C#.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

oh , so you dont NEED an engine. you can just use your C++ compiler?
  11. Kage Bunshin

Yes. A compiler takes all that text you type in, and in the case of c++, (I believe) turns it into low-level machine code.
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  13. C# Addict.

Originally Posted by C++ FaNaTiC
    oh , so you dont NEED an engine.
    No but they can make life easier. What you will need is some kind of library that does load images and displays them. That is unless you want to write your own code to load complex images and write your own drivers for your display. If you enjoy pain and frustration you could try to do that. Or you could use something like SDL.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift

My 2D Physics Engine.
    My Remake of UQM.
    Both are written in C#.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

what about those 3d editors, i think there called scene editors or there just called 3d editors
    But what types of engines support for example this sites game editor: http://www.theliquidateher.com/gamedesign.html
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

> And i use Bloodshed compilers, so could you still make 2d side scrollers with that or is that just for other things.

Bloodshed Dev-C++ is an IDE. It is a nice and pretty environment to type up your code. It is not a compiler itself. Dev-C++ uses MinGW for a compiler. MinGW is the windows version of the gcc compiler. Yes you can make 2d side scrollers with that, because you can make 2d side scrollers with C++.

> thanks, would i be better off using the engine or just using a compiler?
    > oh , so you dont NEED an engine. you can just use your C++ compiler?
    You want graphics. You want a game. Fine. But there has to be a code to do all of that. Where does it come from? Either you type it up yourself. Or someone writes a bunch of code beforehand, that handles graphics, the game logic, and so on. The logic and handling code is called an engine. It's still code, so you still need your compiler.

> what about those 3d editors, i think there called scene editors or there just called 3d editors

Depends on what their exact purpose is. But in general, the term is "3D modeller".

> But what types of engines support for example this sites game editor:
    Actually, it is an engine itself. It comes with a modeller, but if you want a real modeller, you should use a dedicated program like Maya, Max, Blender, Wings 3D, etc..
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

oh, ok thanks for that! But i would just like to know how to add graphics into the game, just using the compiler, no engine
  21. Kage Bunshin

Read post #7. Basically, with your level of understanding, you DON'T!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

> But i would just like to know how to add graphics into the game, just using the compiler, no engine

You write your own code to do so. Depending on the level of graphics, and any other constraints, you have to work with various 3rd party APIs. For example, 3D graphics is done with either OpenGL or Direct3D. You learn the APIs for them (to learn the API, you need to know C++). Or perhaps on Windows, for basic graphics you can just use GDI+. Or SDL + OpenGL, if you want cross platform compatibility.

You might include various helper libraries, like DevIL, freetype, etc.. And using all those libraries, you write your own code to include graphics into the game.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

oh ok, thanks guys

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo