1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help a complete newbie here... please

Hi everyone

So recently I decided that I want to work as a game sound designer but I'm kinda lost and don't know where to start so doing some research through the internet I discovered this forum and I was wondering if someone could help me.

First I would like to know what program can I use to add the sound to the games? I mean, I've worked with videos before and I know a little bit of foley but I'd like to know what program can I use to add those sounds to a game. I know this one called Fmod and seems good but I'd like to know if there's a "standard" program that everyone uses.

Any replies are appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well what exactly are you trying to do? create audio? or format existing audio to be included as a resource in a game? Do you have experience with sound engineering and proper recording equipment or are you just going to edit existing sounds and render sounds electronicly.

Originally Posted by friki092
    Hi everyone

So recently I decided that I want to work as a game sound designer but I'm kinda lost and don't know where to start so doing some research through the internet I discovered this forum and I was wondering if someone could help me.

First I would like to know what program can I use to add the sound to the games? I mean, I've worked with videos before and I know a little bit of foley but I'd like to know what program can I use to add those sounds to a game. I know this one called Fmod and seems good but I'd like to know if there's a "standard" program that everyone uses.

Any replies are appreciated.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by portcitysoftwar
    Well what exactly are you trying to do? create audio? or format existing audio to be included as a resource in a game? Do you have experience with sound engineering and proper recording equipment or are you just going to edit existing sounds and render sounds electronicly.
    Thanks for the reply.

yes, I have experience in sound engineering and recording with profesional equipment in studios, I already know Pro Tools and have some experience in foley but I'm a complete newbie in game development.

Now what I want to know is how is sound programed into the game: if the character pulls out the gun, X sound kicks in, if he jumps "Y" sound kicks in, if he walks into a jungle "Z" sound kicks in, etc.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well that I'd done by programmers developing the game and will be done with by executing a command to play a specific studio file or pie loaded resource. Differs from language to language and engine y to engine

Thanks for the reply.

yes, I have experience in sound engineering and recording with profesional equipment in studios, I already know Pro Tools and have some experience in foley but I'm a complete newbie in game development.

Now what I want to know is how is sound programed into the game: if the character pulls out the gun, X sound kicks in, if he jumps "Y" sound kicks in, if he walks into a jungle "Z" sound kicks in, etc.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your comments

So for what I understand I should be focusing more in making the sounds and recording them not so much into how are they put into the game, please correct me if I'm wrong
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Basically yes. Most concern will be file format for the software devs
    Thanks for your comments

So for what I understand I should be focusing more in making the sounds and recording them not so much into how are they put into the game, please correct me if I'm wrong

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo