1. K-Mart-ian Legend
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help identifying a file type

For a few months now I've been working on modding a game, and my recent project was attempting to add additional textures onto the 3D models, but I've having some difficulty.

The game engine is written based on a modified version of Glide (or modified OpenGL but it doesn't seem to fully support that) and I have a working understanding of the models and textures, but can't seem to find the part that binds them together: the texturemap.

I've scoured all the files and am left with 6 files with the file extension of .GLD. Researching this type of file only tells me it is a Glide (3dfx) file but nowhere can I find any viewers/convertor/decompilers/etc for them. The only other lead I have is that the file header says "BILG" but that doesnt tell me much either.

If anyone has a lead for me, I'd like to hear it. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You're working with an engine that relies on Glide? Where did you find this engine??

Google Glide API or look it up on Wikipedia. Summary: It's an obsolete Voodoo card 3d API. Got a bit of traction because Voodoo cards were popular some time back.

Get a better game engine. One more modern anyway.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. K-Mart-ian Legend
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yea I know all about 3DFX and its great wonders it had created... like SLI...

Eh I know how horrid a game using this sounds... but its the engine used by Electronic Arts in their EA Sports titles...

Its horrible enough as it is, since it doesn't support anything besides lightmap, barely supports alpha channels, can't find ANY way to implement reflection maps, uses a proprietary modelling system which appears to have support for skeletons but can't find where the skeletal data is (probably doesnt use it). The models themselves use 1 shape with morphs to handle animation.... Its a really outdated engine the more I figure it out. And they wonder why their games don't sell very well on the PC...

Basically I'm trying to get a new texture layer to appear on part of the model that doesn't already have a second texture layer assigned to it. If I can find the texture map data I can determine how to place the new layer based on the old layer information. Its just not in ANY of the files I can work with, and all I have left are these GLD files.

I'll check with the API idea...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo