1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Jawbreaker Game review

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is what the games forum is for, I have been using this forum for a long while now and I know there are some cool people here that can give helpful honest advice, criticism and I would be be grateful if I could call upon that today. That being said I would like to ask, if you don't mind, if you would consider giving me some feedback on a game I have produced. More info below:

While I have been redesigning my site I have re looked at a game I produced in Java called Jawbreaker (first found on my mobile phone at Uni). I really enjoy the game, both on my phone and on the online.

I was wondering what other peoples opinion of it was. Is it any good? rubbish? any and all thoughts would be cool.

I plan on redoing this in C# in the very near future so it can run as a desktop app and use web services to update it scores online if wanted.

Java Jawbreaker can be found here

Thank you for your time and thoughts.
  3. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Not too bad. Here's a few critiques.

• I strongly dislike popup boxes. Can't you just use textfield input?
    • The popup box with the score is... bleh. "gimp your game is Over, you scored: 392". The text can take a bit of cleaning up, don't you think? It's a little thing but it bothers me. Same with the text on the bottom: "If the game didnt load you need to download Java, Click here."
    • The fact that you can't click between circles. I want to select some circles, I don't want to click exactly on the circle. I'd make the processing rectangular - similar circles form rectangular forms. Click anywhere in the rectangle and it highlights. You have the outline when you click rectangular, so it can't be too hard.
    • Those circles... bleh. I like my circles to not show jagged edges.
    • The bar up top. It has a nice gradient on one half and just gray on the other. And the two halves are slightly (1-2 pixels) mismatched.

It's not bad though. Wouldn't spend my spare time playing it but also don't dislike it.

The last bit of advice: I hope you're doing this only as a learning project, or you're already getting something (money from ads?) out of it. If not, don't hope to - this game has been done time and time again before, and a bit better (no offense), so you have nothing new with which to attract people.
    Last edited by gimp; July 17th, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thank you for your comments.

It is purely for the fun of building it and learning how stuff works that bit more.

I hear what your saying about the tweaks and will give it some good thought.

Thank you again

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo