1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question If I want a job as a game programmer, what degree should I get?

I've been programming for several years but it's all been primarily business oriented applications. I also have my AS in Computer Science. I was considering getting my BS in game programming because it would be more convienent for me to learn API's like DirectX while in school instead of on the side. Also the curriculum in my computer science degree was almost entirely stuff I am already 100% familiar with so it kind of felt like a waste of money. I've looked at some of the requirements for game programmers at some of the bigger companies and they all say they require a computer science degree. I just want to make sure that if I had a game programming degree instead of a CS degree, that they wouldn't just toss my app in the trash. I'm under the impression that they would care more about my demo apps but I'm not entirely sure. If you have any links or comments to persuade me in one direction or another, that would be awesome because I want to start back soon. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Having a degree in game design/programming will be a major step in increasing your chances as a game programmer. Obviously the level of the degree you get will also reflect on your chances.

Saying that, I'm currently studying a BSc in CS but I have the freedom to choose game developement modules/units, with my CV I will write down what modules I did and what grade I got in those modules.

If you do choose a degree make sure you do a maths unit, a C++ unit and at least graphics unit. All game programming involve maths, especially 3D (physics, light etc etc), C++ becuase most games are coded in this language and a graphics unit (C++ is usually covered in this type of unit anyway) so it teaches you basic modelling and how to render models in games.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo