1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I want to join the games industry, but don't know in what field?

Hi all,

I have recently started doing some games development and enjoy doing it. But one aspect i enjoy particularly is actually creating the level. So i enjoy thinking of the best position for objects to go, and then actually positioning them on the screen. I enjoy altering the terrain, so putting in hills and mountains, and then adding details to the terrain such as bushes, shrubs etc... I enjoy putting in the paths and thinking of the best route for the player to go...

What field would this come under?

Thanks for any help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Tom Sloper's game design FAQ (and the various resources he links to) might be useful to you.
    sub{*{$::{$_}}{CODE}==$_[0]&& print for(%:: )}->(\&Meh);
  5. No Profile Picture

to be a terrien builder??
  7. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb

Technically it is 'Game Design'. But you industry would accept you as game designer if you already have developed some good games. It is kind of Software Architect job, I guess.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"Level designer" is what we always called them. And its a very interesting field all its own.

If you like thinking through how terrain affects routes then you'll love thinking through other aspects of how level design affects gameplay. Gameplay design (another field, if you're at a big software company) and level design are very closely intertwined as disciplines. Folks that work in these areas tend to be the ones that come up with really simple ideas that turn into blockbusters: Super Mario, Zelda, Super MonkeyBall, Wolfenstein/Doom (and hence the whole FPS genre that just won't die to this day), Baldur's Gate, Metroid, Warcraft (the RTS one), Ultima, Fallout, Solar Jetman, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, etc. were all initially a twinkle in the eye of someone who either had a gameplay or level design background (or both) who saw either something completely new was possible or how a new spin on an existing idea could make for a totally new experience.

Note that every one of the uber-grossing games mentioned above started with an idea that was either an innovation in level design or in gameplay, and then later had just enough story built around it to make it feel less pointless (the exception being Baldur's Gate/Fallout/Elder Scrolls type games, where ungated scripting permit the "story" and gameplay to be one thing).

There's a lot more to level design than just having fun painting mountains and things in a terrain system. Its a very deep discipline; one which has been neglected to some degree over the last few years as publishers have pushed games houses to crank out game to formula instead of creativity.

If you're persistent and lucky you might find your way into a position where you get to make the level design matter. Otherwise you'll just be another monkey turning a crank on the rushed background art machine.
  11. No Profile Picture

I would also join the games industry. I want to become a game scriptwriter. I want to generate new ideas about game plot and atmosphere.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo