1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Making a Good MMORPG

Hey, I've had some work with Java before and know a bit, maybe not enough to make an entire game, but enough to work with for now. I'm willing to learn anything, take expenses and whatnot.

My goal is to have an MMORPG that is somewhat like Runescape using Java. I know a lot of people probably ask this. I have a small team of people who are willing to work with a lot of things, one who is specifically graphics, one who is lots of graphics and a bit of coding, another who is good with creativity and graphics, and myself who is creative and great at coding (and picks up code really quickly if I don't know it beforehand). I also know a few people who could help if I needed some extra help (One who knows good programming).

All I would like to know is if some of you guys could point me in the right direction into any tutorials, programs, hints, whatever. I'd rather not work off of another game's code, but I will if I have to.

Just for now, I think I'd be fine with just something small and not online yet, maybe just a room or two. That way, I could start small and expand as I go.

If anyone is willing to help me out, that'd be great for me in so many ways. I really want to get something like this done, and have LOADS of time to put into it.

Thanks!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

My advice is, forget the MMORPG for now, and start making little games, pong, tetris, breakout, etc. You are probably wondering how you will know when you are ready to create an RPG, or an MMORPG, you will be ready when you dont have to ask how to get started or ask for some tutorials to create the game you want.
  5. Contributing User

Lightbulb Making a MMORPG

Everyone says start small, and I agree to some extent. You need to make at least one simple 2D game to be able to wrap your head around what is required for making a game. But really, after that, I would just jump right in and start your game. Break it down into smaller tasks. Ask yourself what it is that you need to do, and what do you need to know in order to do it. Search the internet, and post on forums. The main problem with a large game is not really the programming skill-level required. The real problem is that it takes a REALLY long time, and you have got to have the endurance to stick with it for months and years on end. It may look like an impossible task, but if you do a little bit every day, you will see real progress over time.
    Hope you find this useful!
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

well you did hit one reason on the head (it takes a really long time so they will see less little results to keep them going) but also you have to think of building those small games as steps to building your big game. You dont want to program your "big" game with sloppy coding techniques and have to start over because you set it up completely wrong.
  9. No Profile Picture

Wow, this is old, but I just found it again after looking for it.

I actually have made Tetris in Flash, then I tried breakout in Game Maker. A main thing I was trying to figure out was the best language to code in to start with.

I've decided that C++ is probably best, althought that's gonna be hard, unless I want a Runescape-like game, then Java would be.

I actually wouldn't MIND something like Runescape, but therein lies my other problem: graphics. That's what I get stuck on every time. I've coded a little test RPG in java, and it's a text based adventure. It doesn't work ALL the way, and it's kinda linear, but it still works. I think I'm taking the right steps. I just need to know how to put in graphics and the like, as well as some better ways for inventory/spell list/equipped items/etc. management.

That's about as far as I got though, and if anyone still wants to help point me in the right direction, I'd be very thankful. (PS. if you can find something about Java easier, go ahead, because I know way more Java than I do C++, even if Java was based off of C++.)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

A main thing I was trying to figure out was the best language to code in to start with
    There is no “best” language. Ideally, you choose an appropriate language based on the constraints of your problem. As a beginner, you are probably not knowledgeable and experienced enough to properly make such a choice, so your next best alternative is to figure out the biggest constraints (if you are making a web MMO, for example, C++ is not a smart choice) because that can narrow down your choices sometimes. Then go with something that is acknowledged as beginner friendly.

You indicate knowledge in Java. You are better off, then, by working with Java.

I actually wouldn’t MIND something like Runescape, but therein lies my other problem: graphics. That’s what I get stuck on every time.
    Did you research the material on Java and graphics? Java can work with 2D and 3D graphics. Also relevant are graphic engines or game engines for Java. I recall at least one mentioned by someone else in a forum. Java OpenGL bindings may also be a lead, although that leads you to having to learn OpenGL.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  13. No Profile Picture

I see what you mean, but when I said "best", I meant having something that would be easily playable: easy on the eyes, controls, that kinda thing. Something like, well, Warcraft (C++ I think they used?) or Runescape (Java, and I'm not saying I'm aiming quite that high just yet.).

So, Java it is, and I will look up graphics engines for Java. This is actually proving to be quite helpful.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo