1. No Profile Picture
    Closet coder
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

MS and the new XNA game development platform

havent seen a thread on this and for all you game programmers out there, this could be something pretty cool. i know some people might have an issue with this being MS and .net dependant, but sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad
    check this out
  3. Contributing User

I don't care about the xbox but I'll be interessted when they make a tool that allows me to simoultaneously develop a game for windows and linux...
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry for bumping but.. Honestly I don't really know what XNA is supposed to be. If someone could explain to me what the difference between XNA and Managed DirectX is I'd appreciate it. I've been teaching myself how to program with DX9 for the last couple of weeks -- is this effort/money spent useless?

Thanks in advance
  7. Contributing User

No. Time you spend learning some technology is rarely wasted...

I would not be too excited about it. They provide some IDE and gadgets for free and hope enough people fall for their propaganda scheme which unfortunately they seem to do. Sorry if that sounds fanboy-ish but i've grown allergic to MS a while ago.

It's just another game development kit with the option to pay to have your game ported to the xbox 360 (Which most likely is an automated processes for them that takes no significant amount time...). In the article they write about the ported games not being available for regular xbox 360 user in the beginning which either means the porting is uttlery pointless or your clients will have to engage some kind of paid service (or something) to play your game... = they have nothing to do and get a lot of money and games.
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  9. Prisoner of the Sun

I think it might be very good. Xbox Live Arcade has some great games - I actually play the Arcade games more than 'proper' games at the moment.

Marble Blast Ultra (kind of like Super Monkey Ball) was created with XNA.

But some of the Arcade games could have been much better - e.g. Texas Hold 'em which didn't live up to my expectations. So that made me want to make my own Arcade games for Xbox Live.

I haven't seen much of XNA but, from what I have seen, it looks very powerful, if you consider you can create Hi-Def games complete with xbox live co-op, leaderboards, etc.

My only reservation is the fact that you have to pay $$$ to actually create a final game with it. Typical M$

Here's a short article on it.
    Last edited by b3n; September 5th, 2006 at 10:59 AM.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo