1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by JaydehPoo
    Im planning on making an online game, people can access for free. Where you can walk around and talk to people, gain points and things. I wanna know how you make it, how to upload everything, the amount of things i need to learn is unbeleivable, but all i need right now is a starting point!
    What skills and technologies do you have competence in?

If your online game is being played through the browser, if you want real-time graphics you'll definitely need either Flash or Java. Browser based games that don't need real time graphics have more options like PHP, Javascript/AJAX, Python, ruby, etc. If you don't need your online game to be browser based, just your game needs to be multi-player, any language with graphics capabilities will do. C, C++, Java, Python, C#, VB.NET, etc. Could you tell us what flavor of online game you mean?
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Oler1s
    What skills and technologies do you have competence in?

If your online game is being played through the browser, if you want real-time graphics you'll definitely need either Flash or Java. Browser based games that don't need real time graphics have more options like PHP, Javascript/AJAX, Python, ruby, etc. If you don't need your online game to be browser based, just your game needs to be multi-player, any language with graphics capabilities will do. C, C++, Java, Python, C#, VB.NET, etc. Could you tell us what flavor of online game you mean?

Heh, My skills? I mostly have skills in graphics really. My dads a super computer geek, so he'll probably be handy.

I don't want any game like.. let's say, online tetris. A multiplayer game where you can get millions of registered people - I do have Java, and everything else i might need. A site where you can chat and stuff, and also customize rooms, get points and buy things [Points from the game]
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well i'd say for anyone who doesn't have a ton of knowledge of a variety of programming languages to not attempt making a MMO game with "millions of registered users". Teams of hundreds of programmers, design artists, etc, in professional game studios (i.e. squaresoft) can only make something like that.

If you want to make a game, I would suggest starting small with a simple browser based fantasy game or something... using MySQL as a database and PHP to program. Flash is expensive and you need knowledge of PHP to program in it anyway.

Comments on this post

• Joseph Taylor agrees
    • C++ FaNaTiC agrees : yes, and they'll want some money to
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by JaydehPoo
    Heh, My skills? I mostly have skills in graphics really. My dads a super computer geek, so he'll probably be handy.

I don't want any game like.. let's say, online tetris. A multiplayer game where you can get millions of registered people - I do have Java, and everything else i might need. A site where you can chat and stuff, and also customize rooms, get points and buy things [Points from the game]
    I'd say first learn to use the tools... and deeply. If all you know how to do is make graphics, then at this moment you can only be part of a team of making a game- the graphics designer.
    If you want to make those little addicting games that you see all over the net that people play for hours on end, but then once they close the browser and are done forever- thats usually Macromedia Flash.... sometimes Java.
    If you want to make World of Wacraft- start now... you might be ready by the time you're 25-30 to even think of helping in production of that.
    If you want to do those web based games thats all text (slavehack, cybernations, etc) and turn based, learn PHP/SQL or some other scripting language.
    If you want to make real time text based games (like MUDS), then learn C/C++ and make an RPG. We all have done it. Theyre very complex when you play them, but rather simple to make.
    If you want to make it so that RPG you made has graphics, learn Object Orientated Programming so that when you make that RPG, you can easily put some graphics to it.

But if you want to get in the industry- best place to start: learn C/C++/C#/Java... any of them. Preferably C/C++ (essentially the same language)... and if you're having trouble learning OOP, learn Java- it really brings it down to earth.

Bloodshed Dev C++ is a rather clean/simple/straightforward compiler/editor in one. Its free, too.

Anyway, stick to the beginner forum, and beginner programming forums, and learn to program first. Don't jump right into a specific field of programming. I've been programming for 11 years, and I'm still "dumb" in this industry. It takes LOTS of time to master your work and become good at it. LOTS of headaches, all nighters, loss of friends, etc. You need to be very dedicated to learn programming and be good at it. You need to eat/sleep/dream code all the way till your in your early 20s if you want to land a job anywhere with Microsoft, EA, or other big software guys.

Don't let this discourage you. I haven't been too insane with coding, but i do alot of it for hobby. I started in BASIC, then went to C. My first "game" in basic was a guessing game. My first "game" in C was, also. After bout a year in C, I started on a very basic RPG. A few years later, I went onto a much more advanced version of that text based....then went onto make it more "advanced". I haven't touched it in a while, but I just started cleaning it up lately and I plan on applying a GUI to it finally.

have fun!

Comments on this post

• jafet disagrees : Good post, but... a more recent thread, please?
    • Axweildr agrees : balance, posts live long after the OP leaves this IS progress
    • Joseph Taylor agrees : Excellent post
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by Joseph Taylor

• The most ownage text editor ever, NOTEPAD
    I disagree the most ownage text editor ever i think is textpad. it has intergrated ascii list thing, and the find replace tools are much faster. when on a document 5000+ lines notepad begins to become slow whereas textpad is nearly instant.

regards
  11. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by teishu
    I disagree the most ownage text editor ever i think is textpad. it has intergrated ascii list thing, and the find replace tools are much faster. when on a document 5000+ lines notepad begins to become slow whereas textpad is nearly instant.

regards
    notepad and textpad both suck major donkey kong balls

VI is the best. period.

Comments on this post

• griefers agrees
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Graphical Online, or Online Graphical?

Do you want an online client based game, or a flash game like you see all over the Internet? If you dont know anything about programming, your somewhat out of luck. And if you wana be cheap, Flash costs alot of money. Why not just try to make a game first that runs on your computer? May I suggest if your a complete novice buy Click Here As it teaches you the basics of python (pythons free), and how to make a basic graphical game. Python is the easiest to learn, and this book dosent require any previous knowledge. (Ive skimmed over it at the local book store).

And cmon Guys, VI is what real programmers use ;P
    Last edited by btownsen4; December 30th, 2006 at 08:33 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Something Fishy...

Realm Crafterr isn't free, but it's easy and awesome.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are 5 year and want to make a MMO game

Start now! In 10 years the game will be done..

So that means that year 2017 when you are 15 years old your game will be out, better to start early as possible

Anyways good luck.. Coding, Programing, Designing however hard it might be is always fun and creative and it helps the world not just to a better education but also/mostly a better/faster developing future!
  19. No Profile Picture

hey
  21. No Profile Picture

Cool

hey everyone!! well, i love online games and i wanted to kinda make 1. can soem one please help me out, oh yeah, i read your comment jaydehpoo. im 12, and i need help 2, im with you.

c ya!!

please post a comment any one
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

First, look at the other threads in this Game Development forum. There's three pages worth of threads. Quite often, people asked about starting in game programming, or choosing a programming language, or some similar question. And we responded with lengthy answers. So instead of asking us to repeat our answers, start by reading what we wrote previously.

Once you have done that, you should have an idea of how to go about getting into game programming. If you're still lost, post a new thread indicating what more information you need.

One more thing, do definitely read the sticky on game development resources. There's a number of links there worth looking at.

Moderator: There's no reason for this thread to be open anymore, as OP is long gone. Feel free to lock thread.

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : I commend you on the "Read what we're about end of things, but closing the thread, NO WAY, people find us because of what's said, the thread should stay open ...
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  25. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Moderator: There's no reason for this thread to be open anymore, as OP is long gone. Feel free to lock thread.
    No, leave it open ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

whenever i go to the book store i usually see books like "game programming for teens" or something (infact i think that was the title). it's probably a good place to start, no matter what your age is but if you have limited or no programming knowledge I'd start there

i was thumbing through the book and it came with a cdrom with a basic programming language simular to visual basic, i believe it was shareware but would suffice for a small project. it explained simple concepts that you would need such as how to draw the graphics, detect collisions, the network programming etc...

it didn't cover the topic i was interested in at the time so i didn't pick it up..
    what i was looking for was something to tell me how to do collision response, it explained it assuming i was a person running into a wall, you simply dont move any further in that direction, or you slide along the wall in one direction or another. but in my project i had objects in space hitting each other and they needed to richochet off. anyway I've solved that much but for what you're interested in i think sitting down with a book like that would be a big help

at first, don't create the game just create peices of it for experimentation. like learn how to draw graphics, how to animate, sprites etc.. and create a small program just to do that. then move on to the next thing, every time you learn a new technique it's like putting a new tool in your toolbox, until eventually you have all the tools you need to make your game.

plus they'll come in handy in the future.
  29. No Profile Picture

You can always use Game Maker if you have no experience in programming

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo