Page 4 of 8 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well i'm not sure there is much i can offer.
    what kind of incentive are you expecting?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I was going to type up this huge lecture for you, but I figured it wouldn't accomplish too much. I'll just summarize reality, and experience on your end will take care of the rest.

I'm assuming you intend for this aid to be given with no monetary compensation. If you have a real budget, yes you could put a team together or the like. But I'm guessing you have little or no programming experience, but simply an idea. You would like to have a team, and with their aid you imagine in the long run a nice game developing. That's a nice dream, but it doesn't fly.

If you look at real world amateur projects, and even professional ones, they are driven by a core person and then a core team. Active projects have one lead who has the vision and the skills to implement that vision. Maybe there's a second assistant lead. But usually, the guy who directs the project also makes it happen. In gamedev, this translates to the guy who comes up with the idea also doing significant portions of the coding. He's usually very, very good, but more importantly, he's the one getting stuff done and making releases. The immediate circle of active help can almost always be counted on one hand on even very large and popular projects.

You need to demonstrate those qualities of a lead. Your project needs to show potential. It needs to interest people. And it's also a bit of dumb luck if you get an actual contributer. That's reality.

For now, the most help you'll get is on forums like these, where you have questions on code or some algorithmic aspect.

I very, very superficially summarized why you won't get any help. If you want to pursue this thread of conversation any longer, you probably should start a new thread(topic) in this subforum.

Of course, you're very much welcome to post any other questions as well. I don't know what your level of programming is. So I'll hold off on advice until you post followup questions.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

I'm completely new to programming,
    I can amke advanced games on programs such as flash, but theres only so far that will take me. Where is the best place to start learning to programme. I only posted here as game dev seemed like a good and fun way to get into programming. I have read other posts and it seems buying programming books is as gooder place as any to start. But i was wondering if there is a programming program that works in a similar way to dreamweaver or front page, as in you design and the programme creates the codethat way i could see what effects my actions make on the code..

Sorry if this sounds noob, I expect it probaly will. and thanks for the advice so far.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Where is the best place to start learning to programme.
    Anywhere. Pick any mainstream language and use it. The important thing is to start coding. Once you get into the mentality of writing code and pick up a bit of experience, you'll have a foundation on which you can choose what part of programming you precisely want to explore.

I only posted here as game dev seemed like a good and fun way to get into programming.
    It is. It's also one of the hardest applications of programmming, so that's why we always encourage to start slow and get some experience.

But i was wondering if there is a programming program that works in a similar way to dreamweaver or front page, as in you design and the programme creates the codethat way i could see what effects my actions make on the code..
    I don't want to say yes, as you'll definitely get the wrong idea or misunderstand. Coding is about expressing abstract logic. There isn't a way you can visualize the abstract. Being a programmer is all about getting down into the details, and expressing the logic step by step. Just as you wouldn't type an English essay with a design tool, you wouldn't write code with a design tool.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. No Profile Picture

how do u make online games

could someone be more pacific on the software u need to make a game besides a notepad and paint program
  11. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

depends on what time of game you want to make, if you want a flash game you use software that creates flash apps, if you want a desktop game (most) of the time you use C/C++/Java etc... If you want to just learn the basics go for something simple.
  13. No Profile Picture

i want to make a flash game so could u tell me where to go to get the software il need since i cant use pm til i get 100 posts ul have to post the url here
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by saygerow
    i want to make a flash game so could u tell me where to go to get the software il need since i cant use pm til i get 100 posts ul have to post the url here
    www.google.com

Comments on this post

• Joseph Taylor agrees
  17. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

For tools and concepts for Flash, visit the Flash forums, there's a reason for the hierarchy of how the forums are put together...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  19. No Profile Picture

google wont help me since it gives me way too many diffferent sites and most of them are useless
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by saygerow
    google wont help me since it gives me way too many diffferent sites and most of them are useless
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you there. You see, I googled "Flash Game Development". First site I got was a very useful looking flash game dev wiki (I suppose similar to gpwiki but for specifically for flash).

http://fgpwiki.corewatch.net/index.php/Main_Page
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all the information here.!!
  25. No Profile Picture

game development kits

I think there are several game development kits online
  27. Prisoner of the Sun

:: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  29. No Profile Picture

Hey guys!I want to make game like Travian,something like that,can somebody tell me how much time needs to make some game like Travian,and does it hard to make game like this!And can somebody tell me where do I started to learn make game like travian or other game who was like Travian????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Please and thanks

Comments on this post

• Death Goddess disagrees : *sigh*
    • Joseph Taylor agrees : Thank you for perpetuating a thread in which my most widely misunderstood post is on the front page. I like seeing people disagree years after I wrote it.
Page 4 of 8 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo