1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by JaydehPoo
    "If you're 13, you typically learn HOW to make games. You don't make real games just yet. If you want to make a game anyway, go ahead.

The way you speak generally lends itself to the impression that you're a simple n00b k1dd13, by the way. And no one will take your big plans too seriously." Jaffet

S'cuse me, I'm ten. And im looking on this page to also make an online game. I don't know what your problem is, man, but i'd take it seriously. Im a noob, yes, but with you being cocky isn't helping anyone. Thanks, guys, for posting the programs i could use [Although Knowledge may be at a low rate!]

So, anyone got any advice a helpless kid like me could follow?

Im planning on making an online game, people can access for free. Where you can walk around and talk to people, gain points and things. I wanna know how you make it, how to upload everything, the amount of things i need to learn is unbeleivable, but all i need right now is a starting point!
    Nice grammar and vocab for a 10 year old, if you ask me. Anyways, like everyone has said before, it depends on what type of game, how you want it played, do you want this specifically for web based or download / play, etc. There are too many variables out there to point you to an answer just yet. Figure out what exactly you want done and accomplished in the end. Once you have that part figured out, we will help as much as we can.

If you want a web based game, you can probably head off easily into Flash for a simple game, more advanced games will include Java and more of the computer-side coding.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Room for advertising!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is Java easy to get the hang of if you already know the PHP/Flash/JS/(X)HTML/SQL aspect of programming? Also it's compiled isn't it so does it take a while?

And what about these Java Development Kits? Do I need one of those?

Thanks for your help.
  5. No Profile Picture

pygame with socket

if you want to create a game with python and pygame.
    you can use the socket module to make a nice networked game.
  7. No Profile Picture

I hear it's possible to make an in-browser game in C++, I don't know how tho...

How are you gonna get server bandwidth?
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi, right i am new to this forum but from what i have read you seem like a good and friendly bunch of people.

So like everyone else that has replied to this thread i am looking to make a game. An RTS web browser game that would allow people to work there way up to become a ruler of a country or the likes and rule their fellow players. Yet at the same time there are a variety of couuntries that people can join. It will be mainly text based.

A similar style of game is called The Last Knights.

I have a server and mysql database set up.

I have some knowledge of different types of scripting, a good deal of html knowledge, so what else do i need?
  11. No Profile Picture

well....

im 12 and im not gonna pretend im a computer genius or anything but i would really like a starting point to making an ok game. not summit like wow or anything but just a simple game

ty
    Deathangel77
  13. No Profile Picture

phishtree has a good idea, thats probably the route you want to take. python games are not played in the browser, but they are easy to make
  15. No Profile Picture

hi

well, well, well u guys cant give some pre-teen/teens/kids some help? jerks. i got 2 dreams right now and im not giving up on them!(high class actor and 1st computer game made before i turn 14(im 13)) never ever ever ever give up! if ur dream is to make a game i suggest u start small. im halve way through making my 1st game so that just goes to show u guys who think younger people cant do these things are stupid. and yes i call you all stupid. heres all the things u guys need.
    -e-mail me
    i assume u guys know the type of comp u have
    -e-mail me
    again my assumtion
    -email me
    follow this guide
    -paint
    dont worry these sites r safe.
    -and dont ever give up, even if your just learning how to read!
    -if u need any help just e-mail me at exiled221 at yahoo
  17. No Profile Picture

S'cuse me, I'm ten
    NEVER tell someone your real age on a forum.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by phishtree
    if you want to create a game with python and pygame.
    you can use the socket module to make a nice networked game.
    could be done by creating s erb server in c++ for the game that is capable of generating the webpage on the fly.

i did something like for a game i was working on a few years ago, the game engine basically used HTML templates and generated them with all the requied game information and hosted them on its own web server
  21. No Profile Picture

I would like to make a single player game about a knight that fights goblins and stuff... can you help me make it???
  23. No Profile Picture

I'm 15 and I'm in the middle of creating a PHP game. PHP isn't that difficult to learn - it's probably one of the simplest. It's quite hilarious that people have high ambitions of creating games, but if you have such a high ambition - instead of asking where to go, why don't you go search for the answers? There's no real answer on "how to create a game?" and if you don't know where to start, there's no real point in *wanting* to create a game - but obviously lots of people are very illustrated with their own ideas

I would like to make a single player game about a knight that fights goblins and stuff... can you help me make it???
    What's the point in asking someone make it for you? It won't be made at least half the way you want, and 99 out of 100 programmers (not even being theoretical here) won't even consider making it for you, no incentive is there?

I won't even suggest anyone who is asking others to create their games to learn PHP/MySQL/whatever - as you'll just be the same when trying to learn - rush, and try and learn too soon. Nothing is magic is it?
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by calpol2004
    Travian according to google is a text/image-based browser game. To build a game like that requires skills in HTML, Javascript and PHP or ASP and probably MySQL for databases. These aren't like programming languages however, they are scripting languages (except html) and limited in functionality.

You could build it as a java applet or flash game embedded in a browser window. In which case you could learn java or actionscript with flash.

It's up to you. Any major programming language can essentially do just about anything another one can (although some are better at some things). Just pick a language, read the few pages of a online tutorial and see whether you like it. I'd reccomend C or JAVA but thats my opinion.
    i know a team which desire to clone travian. is create a html and PHP. but without support as part travian team or a spion as work of creation your work is very sticky.
  27. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry, you guys here give great advice, but it seems no one reads it that posts these questions.

I read this thread and the last few pages made me want to jump off a bridge.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

exactamundo!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo