Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by achap1989
    What do I save the file as if I am using notepad
    You can save the file as a HTML file. Just save it as something.HTML
    Something is a variable.
  5. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by I have a cunning plan
    , "let's move off the water cooler", ... "they're reposessing that next week", ... "one less thing we have to pay storage on", "So who's the next for the bullet", "I hope the TV crew turn up in time to witness the demise of a man's humanity", "Oh, No, not speedermann again, ...", "He like a ****ing phoenix ... ", "I know what you mean, but if you put butter on their tails, it's like they're a completely different animal, ... butter-tailed finch, the same, but different ... allegedly . .. ../cough"
    Morse code loves a bigger character set, with a fuller character set, the 'grams man would have been a legendary wotsit
    QMTT

g "Notepad Plus"
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  7. No Profile Picture

Talking i need help

hey peopels i just wanna make a computer game where thousands of people can like play walk and talk freely. and i want it 3D, so just reply if u will be kind enogh to help me!!!!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

realmcrafter is a great program, however is not "Free" or "Cheap". Runs at $100.
  11. No Profile Picture

just go and download the scripts or get a good php coder or something,
  13. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Clean up on aisle 3
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  15. No Profile Picture

how do you make a game

how do you make an online game??
  17. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by matty1
    I think it's important to start with a good quality chicken broth and habanero peppers. If you get stuck be sure to refer to the cook book. You can always ask the head chef.

As you can see by the preceding information in this thread which you no doubt have read in its entirety: it really is quite simple as so many have already explained it in 20 words or less.
    Last edited by medialint; April 10th, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  18. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since I got a email saying someone responded to my response that i made ages ago, I felt like I should reread the thread.

The OP is 13, has no clue whats all involved. You cant make a mmo game using nothing but your computer, and your lack of knowledge.

I guess you could learn php/java/ajax, etc for free.

For a 3d based mmo, whatever be its point. You will need 3d software (not cheap), you will need a programming tool to design/code such a thing, such as Windows Visual Studio 2008 (once again, not cheap). You could resort to the free way of receiving your software, which I will not indulge how to do.

Programming a game of any scale isnt done in a few minutes/hours/days (atleast ones worth playing).

Assuming you decided to say "F you guys, im going to do it anyway". Chances are, you havnt figured out how and gave up within the first 20min.

You will need,

a 3D/Game Engine.
    Programming Knowledge/Experience
    a Server to talk to connected to the internet with a fast enough connection to handle people. You could technically use your personal computer, but chances are, you/your players will lag out within minutes, with less than 5 people connected.

Do this, go look for private wow servers. Download one (they are free). Look at how much of a pain they are to set up, look at the database structure. You will see thousands of different fields that are constantly being read/written too. Now, your program will have to read/write to each of those.

If you cant even accomplish the task of reading/writing to mysql or any other database. Stop here. Google your results.

Nobody will make a game for you. I know this is ultimately what you want. But it aint gonna happen.

You said you're skills are mainly graphic based, and your dad is a super cool computer geek. Have you ever considered asking him? Maybe you did and he said he doesnt know. Assuming he doesnt know, and someone tells you the basic structure, what will he do then? Magically know programming?

The simple structure would be as follows:

Server side database:

Player Name / Password / Level / Loc X / Loc Y / Current Level XP%

Client side

Login Screen - Verify Player Name / Password. If match to server side, then proceed.

while in game,

Read Every players Loc X, Loc Y. Display characters on screen at those marks.
    Write current players Loc X, Loc Y. Allows for others to see where your at.
    Each kill (which the character attacking would have to have its own database field) results in 5%(or any %). So take current level %, add 5. If 100% then current level +1 and current level % = 0. This will make it so each time you fill up your xp bar to 100%, you gain 1 level, and reset the xp percent to 0 to start all over. Ideally to allow for incentives on searching/exploring.

The mobs experience percentage (or number) is in the database. This could allow you to have Mob A give 1%, and Mob B give .5% and Mob C give 50%.

You would need a chat server on the server side. as you cant make a reliable chat with mysql. You could, but would display chat from the very beginning that it started recording.

Ideally you would want your own login server.

Confused yet?

You took what I, and others said and put them aside, because you are looking for that one post that says "I'll do it for you". So good luck to you!
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by matty1
    I just so happen to have an active thread outlining my own online game development starting from square one:
    3D Browser-based Game Development.
    I've been at it for over a year so far with no real game to show as of yet, so it should give you an idea of the level of commitment you will need to have to achieve this type of goal.

I've posted on this thread and similar ones before, but I'll throw in my two cents worth again for anyone interested. Despite what others have said, in reality you do not need a lot of money to develop a game - there are plenty of free resources out there for all the major tools and things you need, and whatever small things you can't find by googling just research and develop them yourself. I haven't spent a dime on my game yet (other than my webhosting service, which I was already paying for anyway), and I doubt I will need to spend anything at all until I am ready to host a multi-player server for beta testing (likely years in the future). What you do need a lot of is time. The amount of time needed will depend on how your brain works, how committed you are, and what prior experience you have. I, for example, have several years of prior programming and small scale game development knowledge. If you are starting out with no programming experience, then you will need to spend time developing that experience first.

Unlike many of the people who have responded to this thread, I don't want to discourage anyone out there who has dreams of developing their own game. If you want to do something badly enough, then do it - don't let anyone tell you you can't. When you get stumped on a specific problem (the key word being "specific) there are plenty of developers out here to help, as long as you ask questions that aren't overly broad or open-ended.

Oh, and I forgot to say - good luck!
    Last edited by paulscode; April 10th, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
  20. No Profile Picture

that dosent work

Originally Posted by Durrance
    Hi I don't know if this is the right place to post this thread but can I ask? What tools do I need or programs to make a graphical online game? Please refer something free or cheap.

ive got those tools.but how do i use them.
  21. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

To all those seeking info on making a game.
    1. Use a search engine, most of your questions posted here can easily be posted as a search request and you'll find instant answers.
    2. You must read, you must want to learn, otherwise you must have the money to pay someone else to do it.
    3. Read, read, read. It's the only way you'll learn, we're not here to take you step by step though it (unless you pay us then we could).
  22. No Profile Picture

The one thing I've relized through reading this thread is that the most important thing you need to code a game is the Knowledge. For Instance, i am only 13 and I am reading this forum becuase i want to learn how to code and create games. But, in terms of money and the time issue-

its now Mid June 2009 and not 2007 anymore! there are many free programs out now that you can use to create online games and all u need is some spare time to do so. (Even though it will take more than days to finish coding a game anyway)

The most valueable resource you can use is your KNOWLEDGE! But aquiring that skill of any programing language takes some time,reading and an eager passion to learn. The programing is the biggest part of anykind of program of game.

Another thing that I have relized when first trying to program is that the saying "if you can read you can write" doesnt exactly work when trying to program anykind of program of any programing language. What I mean is that I get a gerneal idea of what the codes are saying and doing, and since I just finish algebra this year i know variables and sorts of that matter.

lol and just relized some meaning of some of those emotion icons:
    - when you get the idea
    - when you think you know what you getting into before you start programing
    & - when you first realize the language nonsense
    - trials and errors
    - when you have someone else do it for you
    - the enjoyment of the project being done!
  23. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Easy way to get started!!

This is probably the easiest way to get started with game developing:

**Singleplayer RPG-Based Games: RPG MAKER 2003 (FREE) The newer and more advanced versions costs money... Ill be posting a crack tutorial in a few days from now. It features more options and more fancy tiles and sprites. You will be able to add your own custom tiles and sprites if you want (for all RPG MAKER versions). But I'm not that interested in RPG MAKER that I'll be posting a tutorial for that. Just google it, or search on youtube. You'll definetely find it there, I promise
    But RPG MAKER 2003 is just fine if you're too lazy.

This is an example of a RPG Maker 2003 project:
    youtube . c o m /watch?v=UFVoO4iaFYg
    NOTE: The maker of this game have added custom tiles and sprites from the Super Mario Brothers Series!!

This is an example of RPG Maker VX (The newest version) project:
    youtube . c o m /watch?v=GQKnhLa7HRc
    NOTE: The maker of this game is using the default tiles and sprites for RPG Maker VX!!

**Online RPG-Based Games: Eclipse Origins (FREE) It will let you design your own RPG Game and have your friends come play with you. You can also add custom tiles and sprites to your game if you feel for spending alot of time searching through youtube, google and stuff trying to find that out because, as I said above: Im not that interested in the Engine that I'll post a tutorial for that. But when It comes to portforwarding... The easiest way to portforward your game to make sure your friends can connect is to use a free program called Hamachi. If you want your friends to come and join your game, they also have to install Hamachi. Just google Hamachi download, and then click on the link at the top of the result page. Then download the unmanaged version. Once you have it installed run it and hit the big power button and set your name. Then click on the tab called Network, then choose Create a new network. Now a little window will pop up and you'll have to name it and set a password. When your friend have finished downloading hamachi, you want him to join the network you've just created. Tell him to click on Network, then choose Join an existing network. Then he has to type in your network name and password to connect to your "server" then you'll just have to give him the client folder and you can play together. The easiest way to let them download it is to extract the client folder to a .RAR folder which you can get by downloading WinRar. Just google it. Im too lazy to post links xD Its not even allowed here at devshed.....
    LOOL

-Thank you for reading!
    ( PS: GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND )

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo