Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question How to make an online game?

Hi I don't know if this is the right place to post this thread but can I ask? What tools do I need or programs to make a graphical online game? Please refer something free or cheap.
  3. c0der
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You need....

• The most ownage text editor ever, NOTEPAD
    • The most ownage graphics program ever, PAINT
    • The most ownage OS ever, WINDOWS
    • The most ownage programming language ever, JAVA
    • The most ownage personal asset ever, KNOWLEDGE

Now you ask, "how can I acquire these tools?"

Well... I expect you've got numbers 1 through 4 covered. Google the rest.

Disclaimer: These aren't really the most ownage tools. With time, you'll accumulate tools with far more potent potential to own--but you've got to start somewhere. Yes, even an HTML forum.

Comments on this post

• dotancohen disagrees
    • jorgejones disagrees : Not a helpful response.
    • Nesc disagrees
    • tagmanadvance agrees : Nice.
    • calpol2004 agrees : Harsh but true.
    • xnemesis64 disagrees : If you are going to spend the time to reply to a post, you could atleast be helpful!
    • jellis1408 disagrees : The only thing I agree with is the knowledge part.
  5. I lov C in AIX/Linux, hate C++
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Joseph Taylor
    You need....

• The most ownage text editor ever, NOTEPAD
    • The most ownage graphics program ever, PAINT
    • The most ownage OS ever, WINDOWS
    • The most ownage programming language ever, JAVA
    • The most ownage personal asset ever, KNOWLEDGE

Now you ask, "how can I acquire these tools?"

Well... I expect you've got numbers 1 through 4 covered. Google the rest.

Disclaimer: These aren't really the most ownage tools. With time, you'll accumulate tools with far more potent potential to own--but you've got to start somewhere. Yes, even an HTML forum.
    Doesn't have to be Java by itself though. There are Flash, Javascript or whatever the other programming languages are... :-)
  7. c0der

Flash isn't a free tool... Personally I use TextMate and OS X. But hey, that's just me. I'm sure we could all name 15 free tools and languages; I was just trying to get the ball rolling. Uphill.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Joseph Taylor
    Flash isn't a free tool... Personally I use TextMate and OS X. But hey, that's just me. I'm sure we could all name 15 free tools and languages; I was just trying to get the ball rolling. Uphill.
    have you made ne simple online games? if so can you post them here
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you want to make a graphical online game and ask how to do it I need to know a few things first.

What kind of game will it be? Single-player, Multi-player, MMO? Real-time, Tick-based, Turn-based? Are you aiming for something like a 'Connect 4'-Applet for your website or a real-time multiplayer strategy game?

These choices will all heavily influence what technologies are viable for your project and therefore the knowledge you need to complete the project.

But for a few tools that are free:
    • Text-editors: Weaverslave, Quanta, Notepad (yes seriously)
    • Graphics Editor: GIMP, Paint (for simplest things... why not?)
    • Server-stuff: Apache, PHP, mysql
    just to name a few things.
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  13. c0der

I made my first online game right around the time "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone" hit the shelves. Which would make me... 12? 13? No matter. It was titled "Harry Potter: Wizards' Duel", and programmed in client-side, IE exclusive Javascript (I've come a long way). My text editor of choice was the endurable cyan editor "Notepad". I didn't bog myself down with difficult decisions; I had yet to realize the superiority of every other text editors in existence. In spite of its many shortcomings, years of experience with MS's bare bones editor*1 toughened me up for the down and dirty code-fu to come.

My graphics program of choice of the time was Paint Shop Pro (likely version 7). The "dueling wizards" manifested themselves as robed stick figures with beige heads. In retrospect, these forms could have been concocted in Paint. There would have been no more fancy effects to distract me, either; get playing with those filters and you might as well call the entailing 4 wasted hours of your life dust in the wind. The game, too, is most regretably "dust in the wind"*2, or I'd gladly show it off for your benefit.

*1 "Bare Bones" is the company backing a remarkable feat of text editor engineering, by the by

*2 In lieu of this post's obvious lack of practical value (beyond the satisfaction accorded to one particular nostalgist,) I feel inclined to point out that I also enjoy the song dust in the wind. And long walks on the beach. And... Where the hell am I going with this?
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Hugh of Borg
    If you want to make a graphical online game and ask how to do it I need to know a few things first.

What kind of game will it be? Single-player, Multi-player, MMO? Real-time, Tick-based, Turn-based? Are you aiming for something like a 'Connect 4'-Applet for your website or a real-time multiplayer strategy game?

These choices will all heavily influence what technologies are viable for your project and therefore the knowledge you need to complete the project.

But for a few tools that are free:
    • Text-editors: Weaverslave, Quanta, Notepad (yes seriously)
    • Graphics Editor: GIMP, Paint (for simplest things... why not?)
    • Server-stuff: Apache, PHP, mysql
    just to name a few things.

I got ideas on multiplayer, tick-based, something like a community game where you can be a ruler or an adventurer/citizen belonging to a kingdom. What should I do??? I am a fool I cant understand most things coz I'm only 13 please make'em easier for me. TNX!
  17. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't want to sound too discouraging but there are hundreds of browser games already and at least a few dozens of them fit your description.
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Redpill

If you're 13, you typically learn HOW to make games. You don't make real games just yet. If you want to make a game anyway, go ahead.

The way you speak generally lends itself to the impression that you're a simple n00b k1dd13, by the way. And no one will take your big plans too seriously.
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main(int o,char**O){return o>-1?o-2||!main(-1,1+O)?!!fprintf(stderr,"%s [0-"
    "9]{81}\n",*O):main(-83,++O):o>-83?(*O)[-1-o]?81==(o=-o-1)||o[*O]<'0'||'9'<o[*O]
    ?0:main(-2-o,O):o==-82:o>-164?(*O)[-83-o]<'1'?main(o-82,O):main(--o,O):o+164?o>-
    246?(*O)[-165-o]<'1'?main(o-82,O):main(--o,O):o+246?o>-328?(*O)[o=-o-247]<='8'?(
    main(-328-o,(++o[*O],O)),main(-247-o,O)):!(o[*O]='0'):(o=-o-328)<729?(o%9/3*3-o%
    27+o/243*9+o/81%3&&(*O)[o%81]==(*O)[o%81-o%27+o%9/3*3+o/243*9+o/81%3])||(o%81-o%
    9-o/81*9&&(*O)[o%81]==(*O)[o%9+o/81*9])||(o/81-o%9&&(*O)[o%81]==(*O)[o%81-o%9+o/
    81])?0:main(-409-o,O):main(-165-o%81,O):!puts(*O):0                           ;}
  21. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Learn about communication protocols, using sockets to update clients from a master map, that'd be key for what you're after.

XMLHttpRequest would be good to lookup details on the players in the game, but you'll need some strategy to minimise bandwidth usage.
    Code:
    if (update) {
      details.download;
      map.item.reposition
    } else {
      map.item.reposition;
    }
    You can push ascii characters about the screen, until you get the basic building blocks correct.

Determine the roles of the clients and the server in this relationship. If you give too much control to the client, you open opportunities for cheating (oh, and they will - Sony BMG is allegedly sought after ;p). Too much work on the server side, and you can seriously limit how many players per server.

Basically identify all the areas of the game you wish to develop, and then determine the technology required to address each of these issues ... you'd be well advised to this ahead of writing a single line of code, also think reusable code ... it'll be a pain in the *** initially, but it will speed up development long term

There has to be a plethora of tutorials on the subject out there. Google is your friend
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  23. I lov C in AIX/Linux, hate C++

Oh yea, AJAX is such an awesome tool to use. Unfortunately, like Java, Flash, etc., they all suffer from the bandwidth issues whether the server is busy or not, whether there's a interruption of communction on the Internet. Like a power surge/brownout or router convergence issues... :-) It would make someone want to throw the keyboard at the monitor.
  25. No Profile Picture

What do I save the file as if I am using notepad
  27. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by achap1989
    What do I save the file as if I am using notepad
    what file?
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  29. No Profile Picture

"If you're 13, you typically learn HOW to make games. You don't make real games just yet. If you want to make a game anyway, go ahead.

The way you speak generally lends itself to the impression that you're a simple n00b k1dd13, by the way. And no one will take your big plans too seriously." Jaffet

S'cuse me, I'm ten. And im looking on this page to also make an online game. I don't know what your problem is, man, but i'd take it seriously. Im a noob, yes, but with you being cocky isn't helping anyone. Thanks, guys, for posting the programs i could use [Although Knowledge may be at a low rate!]

So, anyone got any advice a helpless kid like me could follow?

Im planning on making an online game, people can access for free. Where you can walk around and talk to people, gain points and things. I wanna know how you make it, how to upload everything, the amount of things i need to learn is unbeleivable, but all i need right now is a starting point!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo